Fire fish and goby compatibility

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I picked up a Dracula goby. I dug them a burrow and him and the pistol took right to it. They either dug a new one in the back or extending the small burrow I made to the back. He’s always in the back of my tank which is kind of disappointing because it’s hard to see him. But my issue is is that where he’s hanging out in the back is inches from my fire fishes little home. My fire fish used to always come out during feeding time and periodically through the day. Since I added the Dracula the fire fish never comes out and today I saw him peak his head out while the Dracula was eating and then ducked right back in. Any advice on what’s going on or how I can fix it?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many sand dwelling species in too small of an area.

I had a firefish get snapped by the pistol in this exact scenario :(
But the Dracula ventures only a couple inches from his burrow. I didn’t think the fire fish is sand dwelling I thought he dwells in the rocks

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish and YWG were buddies and share the same burrow the first couple of days after I introduce the YWG. It later pair with the pistol shrimp and now they have their own burrow but it connects with the firefish as I see the pistol sometimes come out under the firefish.
Firefish are not really active, mines spends a good portion in the cave, comes out for food and just stays put in the water column for awhile then goes back to hiding. The only times he goes around the tank if I stop all flow.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fire fish is temperamental at times. How long has the goby been in there with it? Can take a few weeks sometimes.

Can't remember what I added to the tank, but the fire fish didn't like it and I didn't see it at all for a good 7+ days once and figured it might have died, few days later I saw it dart out for some food real quick and went back to hiding. But, over the next week or two slowly started coming out more and more before getting back to his usual behavior.

Even now, sometimes just doesn't seem to want to deal with other fish sometimes and just don't see much of him for a few days.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish and YWG were buddies and share the same burrow the first couple of days after I introduce the YWG. It later pair with the pistol shrimp and now they have their own burrow but it connects with the firefish as I see the pistol sometimes come out under the firefish.
Firefish are not really active, mines spends a good portion in the cave, comes out for food and just stays put in the water column for awhile then goes back to hiding. The only times he goes around the tank if I stop all flow.
Maybe that’s what mine is doing. Just building a relationship. Mine was the same way and would come right out when power heads and pump were shut off but he hasn’t been doing that since I introduced the goby and shrimp and that’s why I was worried

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fire fish is temperamental at times. How long has the goby been in there with it? Can take a few weeks sometimes.

Can't remember what I added to the tank, but the fire fish didn't like it and I didn't see it at all for a good 7+ days once and figured it might have died, few days later I saw it dart out for some food real quick and went back to hiding. But, over the next week or two slowly started coming out more and more before getting back to his usual behavior.

Even now, sometimes just doesn't seem to want to deal with other fish sometimes and just don't see much of him for a few days.
I added the goby just 2 days ago, maybe I just need to be patient. I did see it come out super quick so I know it’s not dead but still worrying

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fire fish would go into hiding with any new additions to the tank. Each time when it felt comfortable enough it would start to venture out. Sometimes it would be only a few days and sometimes much longer. When I added my Copperband I lost sight of the Fire fish for a whole month.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fire fish would go into hiding with any new additions to the tank. Each time when it felt comfortable enough it would start to venture out. Sometimes it would be only a few days and sometimes much longer. When I added my Copperband I lost sight of the Fire fish for a whole month.
That is true. I have noticed that, super finicky fish. If he’s hungry enough I’ll find a way lol

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news guys! I didn’t see the fire fish today with my morning frozen feeding but I threw some flakes in and he came out to eat a little bit. He was still in the back close to his home but at least he’s eating. The Dracula is coming out in the front more then the back now so I think it’s just the fire fish getting used to his new friends

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. The time I didn't see mine for a month I thought for sure it would have starved to death. When it finally came out it looked normal with no sunken belly. Since I broadcast feed the tank bits of food must of have been going into his hiding hole and he was able to feed the whole time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back