Fire/Ice zoas

Wannabereefvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this isn’t an issue or question, moreso an observation.

I got a frag of 3 fire/ice zoas around august from an LFS I don’t go to often. They stayed closed in my tank for about three months for unknown reasons. Either completely closed, or barely opened. I moved them twice before finding a spot that worked for me and them. After a month they grew about 3 more heads in that spot. Fast forward to now (another 3-4 months since finding their happy place) and they’ve exploded to about 50-60 heads.

Anyone else experience this or something similar?

In comparison I’ve had other zoas/palys grow larger heads and much more slowly, or have growth spurts, but this is out of hand.

if anyone in NJ is interested in frags lmk

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species just grow out of control in some tanks. I have a Halle Berry colony that grows out of control. So much so that polyps detach and are found elsewhere in the tank where I quickly dispose of them. Glue frags disks and rock rubble near the colony so when the grow over it you can easily pop them off and give them away, trade or sell to other reefers at a good price to help end the coral price gouging madness. ;)

OP
OP
Wannabereefvet

Wannabereefvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species just grow out of control in some tanks. I have a Halle Berry colony that grows out of control. So much so that polyps detach and are found elsewhere in the tank where I quickly dispose of them. Glue frags disks and rock rubble near the colony so when the grow over it you can easily pop them off and give them away, trade or sell to other reefers at a good price to help end the coral price gouging madness. ;)
Yea they’ve grown on the other side of the tank too. My rhodactis mushrooms are doing something similar, but it’s just not as dramatic.

Noobie_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this isn’t an issue or question, moreso an observation.

I got a frag of 3 fire/ice zoas around august from an LFS I don’t go to often. They stayed closed in my tank for about three months for unknown reasons. Either completely closed, or barely opened. I moved them twice before finding a spot that worked for me and them. After a month they grew about 3 more heads in that spot. Fast forward to now (another 3-4 months since finding their happy place) and they’ve exploded to about 50-60 heads.

Anyone else experience this or something similar?

In comparison I’ve had other zoas/palys grow larger heads and much more slowly, or have growth spurts, but this is out of hand.

if anyone in NJ is interested in frags lmk
Where in your tank did you find they were happiest. I am going through the same with my fire and ice. They are next to a different species of zoa that are doing amazing. The are in lower in light (bottom of tank) and low flow. I'm curious where yours found their happy place.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back