Fire shrimp eating hermit crabs

  • Thread starter Thread starter dr.ben
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dr.ben

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2018
Messages
30
Reaction score
24
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new pair of the Fire Shrimp, and I am feeding them frozen mysis/brine shrimp every day, but they are also eating some of my hermits! The shrimp are doing great, already had a clean molt, but I love my hermits. Anyone else have this problem?

Any suggestions?
 
This may sound silly but are you sure its eating your hermits and not cleaning/eating stuff off they're shells?
 
Yes the entire crab body is out and desiccated far from any shell and I’ve watched it munch on the carcass...
 
Did you see it pull a hermit out of its shell? I sometimes get hermit crab melts that look just like a dead hermit floating around
 
No I only saw the body. But multiple shells are empty so it does seem that they are being eaten. Maybe while searching for new shells?
 
This also happened to me, one of my scarlet hermit's body have been carried around by my cleaner and fire shrimp. Really weird.
20180701_160735.jpeg
20180701_160550.jpeg
 
Was it the entire body (like tail and all?). Sometimes when my hermits molt my cleaner shrimp will play with the sheds
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new