FireFish how to tell if it's with eggs?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I think might be a male/female pair......For the last 6 months they have not left each others side and have always been slender and fit. But yesterday I noticed that one is extreamly fat.....Now I didn't feed the last few days with work and family, usually I feed about 3-4 times a day with differant frozen and Newlife Spectrum pellets....

In this pic you can see how fat she(I think) is.....She was not this way 3 days ago.....They both have been rubbing and bipping at each others side and underside. Her ovidepositor is also extened a little bit which I have not noticed before...Right before the bottom fin you can kinda see a little projection....So how to tell if she is pregnant or not?

DSCN3240.jpg

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say yes but im not experienced at all with breeding fish, but i have seen alot of freshwater fish, bass crappie, perch and wat not and there bellies do the exact same thing when prego, so just by looking i would definetly say carring eggs

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is kinda what I thought too.....Only fish I have ever dealt with is Cards and the eggs are in the mouth......

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL...... I know it hasn't ever been like that looks uncomfortable to me.....Hopefully it is eggs and not a clogged digestive tract......New Life spectrum pellets and frozen.....Newlife the only dry food I feed now.....

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wel actually now that say that....one time I dropped a small piece of still semi frozen mysis in my tank, and perc clown ate the whole thing in one gulp. Then could barely swim, sat on the bottom and t weaked out for about an hour. Her belly got big like that from it

So ya I dont break it over tank anymore lol

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty darn sure that is a gravid female. If you're interested in selling/trading the pair please let me know :)

Gerber77

Zoa Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a beautiful picture. I think it looks pregnant, I hope you have luck raising the little ones that would be sweet.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty darn sure that is a gravid female. If you're interested in selling/trading the pair please let me know :)

Actually I think I would like to try my hand at breeding them......I am waiting for my B&W to start up as well.....I didn't expect the firefish though, I actually planned on adding a few more but I will pass on that since they seem to be thriving as they are.....I will keep this updated on what I find out over the next few days.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this if they fish ended up being okay? My fire fish looks exactly like yours does in the picture right now and I’m concerned

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back