Firefish red vs purple vs exquisite vs helfrichi

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was days away from pulling the trigger on a pair of helfrichi, but then I was at my LFS and they had a gorgeous pair of red firefish that we're healthy and in peak condition. They cost $15 each. I think the helfrichi are probably cooler, but the reds were literally 1/10 the price and still beautiful. I bought the reds.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the photos and opinions! I gathered one opinion that might carry a bit of extra weight. Showed my 4yr old pics of each and he determined unequivocally that an *exquisite* is the one I should get for my office!

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Helfrichi in my past 60gal build. One of the most beautiful fish i’ve ever seen, photos don’t do it justice. Considering getting another for my current 7g build.
D7A64E60-A091-4C83-B460-4579046E70C3.jpeg
C9729591-4A37-4D6D-B392-D35C3FBE5944.jpeg

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These photos are stunning. These look almost like exquisites though with the yellow eyes and off-white fronts!

The one in my photo was purchased from my wholesaler as a Nemateleotris exquisita but I call both this and Nemateleotris decora, "purple fire fish". I personally think a lot of them are Hybrids. Especially ones I see shipped into the wholesalers. I keep them in low light and they come out for photo shoots. :)

Definately a lot cheaper than the Nematelotris helfrichi though.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Love all of these! I have a Purple and he spends almost all of his time cruising around the front/middle of my 50g tank.

I assume 50g isn't quite enough room to add a second (regular one this time), but I'd love to have one of both :D

*I just saw this thread is over a year old. Sorry for the necro-post lol

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love all of these! I have a Purple and he spends almost all of his time cruising around the front/middle of my 50g tank.

I assume 50g isn't quite enough room to add a second (regular one this time), but I'd love to have one of both :D

*I just saw this thread is over a year old. Sorry for the necro-post lol
Firefish are weird. You never know how they'll react with other firefish. I have never tried to mix them. I have heard positive things from others who have mixed them. Usually it is best to add them at the same time, but I'm sure it can be done if your tank has a lot of places for them to make their little homes/burrows. It just depends how your tank is in terms of dimensions, rock work, etc.

I used to have a purple firefish. I had him for about 1.5 years. He never grew so he may have already been a full grown adult. But I was sad when I lost him. I currently have a trio of Zebra Dartfish. I love them since they don't bother each other and do better in groups. You could consider getting multiple dartfish that shoal.
The Barred/Zebra, Blue Gudgeons, and Scissortail are examples of some that do

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
helfrichi or the red are my fav

I don't like the facial markings on the purple types... little clownish for me.. (although I did own one as one of my first fish in the hobby because it was healthy and super cheap at the LFS), the other two are more elegant feeling

my helfrichi got spooked when the power went out suddenly and darted straight into my BTA... so.. that was expensive... I would go with the red next time :p

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the only pics I have left of my reefs from 12 years ago. I had what I think was a pair. They hung out together, slept in the same cave together and if anything scared them the stuck right together. Were they actually a pair? Not sure.

Attachments

• 2011-02-23 17.44.47.jpg
    2011-02-23 17.44.47.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 39

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a Helfrichi, but they are very expensive and hard to find here in Brazil. So I'm between Purple and Exquisite. I want the Exquisite, but I don't remember if I have already saw one in several LFS. If I can't find the Exquisite, will have to be satisfied with the Purple Firefish... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 of the red this past Saturday and seriously think it was a mistake. I have not seen either of them since that night I put them in. I think I have an idea of where they're holed up but these last few days I have not seen them even poke their heads out or coming out to eat.
My fault for not researching them more. Did not realize they're super shy and can hole up for days at a time.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of the helfrichi, but not enough to justify the expense.

I currently have a red and a purple that were introduced together, and they get along well enough that they sleep in the same hole and spend all day swimming around together.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an exquisite that only recently started venturing out from he lair a month after introducing it to the tank, though I'm not sure how much of the newfound bravery is due to my flame angel somehow finding a way to squeeze through the crevices in the rock to find his hideaway. He'll still dart around when my butterflies get too close, but hopefully he realizes that nothing is really out to get him.

I for one love the little guy, firefishes and mandarins are some of the fish that got me wanting to keep a saltwater tank

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This time around Im doing one of each. I have a red and a purple already. The helfrichi is next once I can find one.

If you have the option of getting an exquisite over a purple Id do it, but they look so similar once in your tank I doubt you would really tell the difference.

I do hear they are good in groups but Ive tried doing a group of 4 reds on two occasions. Both times they just died off, so not doing that again.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a Helfrichi, but they are very expensive and hard to find here in Brazil. So I'm between Purple and Exquisite. I want the Exquisite, but I don't remember if I have already saw one in several LFS. If I can't find the Exquisite, will have to be satisfied with the Purple Firefish... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’ve changed my mind. Decided to go with the “regular” red Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica). Easier to find, cheaper and less grumpy face lol
I will post a pic here when I purchase the fish

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the red, brighter color. Never had the helfrichi. I also love the scissor tail dart fish.. They are a little bigger, very active, can be kept in group, have nice coloring and an unusual shape.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back