Firefly Gobies Flashing

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have 2 firefly gobies who consistently swim into the sand. Several times we thought it might be a parasite so we have used 3 different treatments seperately which are; herbtana microlift, ich - x, and copper(cupramine). Is this common for this fish, cause I was told that is them playing? They also have 3 other tank mates who don't show any signs. Has anyone else noticed this before?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish will quickly dart into a hidey hole (in a rock), but I've never seen them "swim into the sand". Do you mean they're rubbing their bodies on the sand?

OP
OP

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish will quickly dart into a hidey hole (in a rock), but I've never seen them "swim into the sand". Do you mean they're rubbing their bodies on the sand?

Not exactly their whole body. Mainly b just the front half.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of rare lazy-ace Clownfish. They tend to swim to the sandbed and lie there like Hawkfish. They seriously look like they are dead because they are so lazy to move.

Moral of the story, every fish is different. Are my soon-to-be obese Clownfish making me worry about a parasite? No.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly their whole body. Mainly b just the front half.

So this sounds like they have something bothering them in their gills. Can you perform a fresh water dip on one of them to confirm or rule out flukes?
Here's how from Humblefish:

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

OP
OP

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this sounds like they have something bothering them in their gills. Can you perform a fresh water dip on one of them to confirm or rule out flukes?
Here's how from Humblefish:

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

Well wouldn't any of those previous treatments help?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So treating with that should help them stop doing that?

If indeed it is flukes causing them to scratch on the sand. FW dip (mentioned above) would allow you to confirm if flukes are present.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@1wwoods7 Did you put the copper in your display tank with the fish during one of those 3 treatments you mentioned at the top? It's never a good idea to put meds in your display even if it's a fish only. Reason being, your live rock and sand will absorb the meds and then release them again later. This makes it almost impossible to keep invertebrates in your tank after medicating. Even though you dont have corals snails, shrimp and starfish will probably not survive in your tank without some serious cleaning on your part.... up to and including taking all the rock and sand out and replacing it.

also, please do the freshwater dip on one of your gobies. It's the easiest way to confirm what your fish have. It's easier on them than you think and it's free to do!

OP
OP

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@1wwoods7 Did you put the copper in your display tank with the fish during one of those 3 treatments you mentioned at the top? It's never a good idea to put meds in your display even if it's a fish only. Reason being, your live rock and sand will absorb the meds and then release them again later. This makes it almost impossible to keep invertebrates in your tank after medicating. Even though you dont have corals snails, shrimp and starfish will probably not survive in your tank without some serious cleaning on your part.... up to and including taking all the rock and sand out and replacing it.

also, please do the freshwater dip on one of your gobies. It's the easiest way to confirm what your fish have. It's easier on them than you think and it's free to do!

No that was put in after we took out my inverts and now I have been treating with copper for over a month. I am nervous about the freshwater dip though cause I don't want to lose any fish and I read that forum on it but Idk how accurately I could do it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well a freshwater dip isn't something that needs accuracy really. Just RODI, air pump and an API test kit for PH that will do both fresh and saltwater. You can float your freshwater container in the display's water to make it the same temp. Your only doing it for 5 minutes max. It's easier on the fish than you might think. Just give it a shot, if they start freaking out or stop breathing then stop the dip.

OP
OP

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well a freshwater dip isn't something that needs accuracy really. Just RODI, air pump and an API test kit for PH that will do both fresh and saltwater. You can float your freshwater container in the display's water to make it the same temp. Your only doing it for 5 minutes max. It's easier on the fish than you might think. Just give it a shot, if they start freaking out or stop breathing then stop the dip.

So how would I get an api test?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are sold at every store that sells fish i believe. I've never not seen one at a fish store, even petco. It's not 100% needed, just a bonus. The PH wont effect the fish that much in the 5 minutes they will be in it. You can just squirt a little tank water in the bowl with them if you want, but not much.

OP
OP

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are sold at every store that sells fish i believe. I've never not seen one at a fish store, even petco. It's not 100% needed, just a bonus. The PH wont effect the fish that much in the 5 minutes they will be in it. You can just squirt a little tank water in the bowl with them if you want, but not much.

Ok I will try that. Does it matter how much water?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a rubbermaid container or even a plastic fish bag rolled up on the ends so that it floats on the water's surface. I like the last method because it keeps the water inside the same temp as the tank, but only for a fw dip not for use with chemicals in a bath. So like 2 cups-ish of water for your 1 goby. It's only 5 minutes so it's not that big a deal, they need enough water to be submerged completely and to hold enough oxygen for them to breathe.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to what @melypr1985 said above, you can use "baked" baking soda to raise the pH of the FW dip if you're really worried about it. But most fish are not going to be overly sensitive to a brief 5 min pH fluctuation. In 35+ years the only fish I have ever lost to a FW dip were those already on death's doorstep and the FW dip was my last ditch effort to save them. :(

So long as the fish is breathing heavy during the dip, you are fine. It's only when breathing slows that you need be concerned. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back