first acan

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha yeah, everyone is in shock from reading that title.

go ahead, laugh at me...

got my very FIRST acan lord frag the other day. they are just itty bitty guys, 1/2" total, side by side. red, w/ green and blue stripes. glued them down to a smooth rock.

is it required that you feed them? at least for them to do very well? what about flow and light?

i run a 250w radium on HQI in a 30g tank. i tried to find the shadiest spot for them.

very terrible pic, i'll have to try again when after it settles down.
acan%20frag.jpg

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding is not required. I dont target feed mine at all anymore. However, they will explode with growth if you do. They will take mysis every other day if you offer, and grow like crazy.

They love light. I have mine all over, flow wise. From low to med/high. I dont have any crazy flow in the tank so I cant comment there.

One thing is they seem to be suseptable(sp) to low magnesium levels. There have been several stories lately of acan lord polyp bailout, and most have turned around when the magnesium levels were gotten back up. Thanks to BerlinMethod for that very beneficial tidbit. ;) Epsom salts is great for magnesium. I mix a bag with a gallon of water, and put in a cup about every 2-3 months.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I bet it will do super well in your tank, and look very nice next to the zoas.

I had one long ago, but pieced it out and traded it for other (at the time) cooler stuff.

Miss it now, though.

Laurie

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really dont see what the big deal is about these. i'm actually seeing colonies now at my LFS's in my area, and in the other great stores in Virginia. I still dont see why they are so *cool*

the only absolutely amazing ones i've seen, were some micro's that were like purple/pink/green/red. anything w/ 4+ colors in the same polyp is pretty cool.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are amazing acans out there but they are mostly owned by people out on the west coast like Chris and Jen Dub....there is one guy in the Baltimore area but have seen no sign of him on the boards for a very long time so I fear he may have left the hobby. I know a few people in the Chicago area like Jimmy aka jcigars and Vamp have great acans as well.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i still dont see what is so *cool* about the acans. i dunno, they just look like big blobs lol

i feel the same way about micros too, except for a couple morphs out there that have like 4+ colors in them, and just look wicked.

i dont see what is so cool about favia and favites either, those corals remind me of looking at the moon LOL

chalices look like boring montipora caps or encrusting monti's (with the exception of the watermelon chalice i have seen in person, that looks pretty wicked, but i imagine they look much cooler as small frags than they look as big colonies)

i'm not big on those encrusting monti's danae's either. they only really look cool if you have an expensive camera with a $$ macro lens so you can get those awesome pics of the polyps.

i do however like blasto's a good bit, i dont have any though, as they are super hard to come by in my area of the world. but most of them are just a boring red morph, kinda like all of those red acans too i guess.

i guess i could technically like *any* of those corals, given the right colors.

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my new acans (Thanks Rev!) They are the first I've had, and I just love feeding them. Here they are fat and happy after mysis shrimp:
18g018.jpg

18g016.jpg

Kam

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, and I just noticed that the grey and red one has a tiny baby on the backside that you can't see in the picture. :)

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor little guy...

Gotta hate it when the baby is hanging on to your backside...

:lol:
Laurie

mschriskim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not see this thread until now : )

surfn, I am a big fan of Acans and some micros.... after I have seen these colors

No photoshop here so they are one of most colorful corals I ever seen...
17a4df7a.jpg

PICT0174.jpg

PICT0191.jpg

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a serious start on my micromussa collection today. Had just one dull purple green micro for a while.

Just traded some AoG and other palys for 4 nice micros and other goodies :)

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a big 100+ polyp colony a few months ago, and I enjoy it. The best part is when local reefers who are LPS crazy get nice zoos, and they'll gladly trade frags of them for some frags of this guy. He looks grey in the pics, but he gets a more vibrant coloration when viewed from the top of the tank.

I would like a piece of that Green Halo Red UFO micro thing...that thing is wild!!

lord2.jpg

Jon

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Ugly said:
Got a serious start on my micromussa collection today. Had just one dull purple green micro for a while.

Just traded some AoG and other palys for 4 nice micros and other goodies :)

Pics! I want pics!!!

I am a bit leery of these sorts of corals, mainly because I don't want to get them and kill them. I think I would want to start out with a tiny little frag and then see what happens from there if I started trying to keep them. I think I would like feeding them though, because there is something very gratifying about feeding my sun coral and watching it grow. Maybe I will have to get up with the Rev also.

:D
Laurie

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, they are weeds and very hardy. I had some that were not what they were supposed to be (pink is usually bleached red...) that died back, but the pieces that hung in there started reforming polyps. Alot of LPS don't go down easy...

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laurie, I'll try to take some pics this week. I've just been leaving them alone to get used to the tank and heal up from the fragging.

If you like feeding sun coral, you'll have no prob feeding micros. i think they're gonna be my next favorite after zoas. They're so easy to take care of, and there are lots of cool bright colors. And they grow fast... those fat little pigs :)

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick pic of the micros I picked up recently :)

They should brighten up a bit under the MH. Particularly the one in the lower left corner of the pic.

micros.jpg

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of mine!

AcanLord.jpg

4.jpg

Here is a Micro I took a picture (just actinics on, and no shopping whatsoever!)of while I was babysitting until the owner got settled back in LA

micromussa.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back