First Algae Barn Order (Kind of)

Discussion in 'Algae Barn' started by mitch91175, Mar 28, 2018.

1. mitch91175

mitch91175 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

It's been over 2 years since I ordered from AlgaeBarn and I had honestly forgotten why I didn't order again. Personally I am not too ecstatic about the 5280 pods. I received the combo of 5280 and OceanMagik today and let's just say, may 2 bags looked nothing like this picture below:

[​IMG]

In this picture above you can plainly see the pods. I think in my bag I could see a few brown spots floating around. They did arrive alive (at least the few that you could see) and the packaging too me was more exciting that the actual 5280 pods.

Shipping took forever to receive and on the site the reason was because of high demand and that they wanted to ensure a quality product. Right now I cannot say that what I received was a quality product. The Ocean Magik is fine, but man the 5280 pods was like looking through clear water. I put the "water" in a 5 gallon tank to see if I can at least salvage something from it, but not impressed to say the least.

I have ordered from another source a few weeks ago and I could definitely see the pods so I wanted to see what the AlgaeBarn hype was all about. Guess I be using my other source because spending $100 and you cannot see them like you can in the image above just isn't right (almost like selling snake oil in a bag). I am sure others have had better experiences, but this wasn't what I was expecting.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    mckinney0171 and Tom Blevins like this.
    Tags:

2. mitch91175

Wish I had taken a picture of it to post here in comparison to the image above. What a total waste of $100 for me really (well at least I have phyto that I can use) :(.

3. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Well you are the second post in several days not happy...

I was going to order some but I will wait or order some where else.. I think they are having some growing pains. More orders than they can handle..

Just so you know since it is a mixture some of the copepods might be really hard to see. The larger are probably tiger pods.

mckinney0171 likes this.
  4. mitch91175

Didn’t even bother to look for any others. Out of respect for AlgaeBarn, I’ll refrain from mentioning another supplier in their thread and wait to see if they have a response. I sure wish I had taken a picture. I literally looked at the bags and was like, well it did arrive alive. I don’t know how you could sell them and say that it’s 10,560 + for the 2 bags but you can only see a few pods floating. If my bag had looked like the image I would have had different things to say. But I honestly think I go a squirt of pods with a bunch of water.

The packaging is amazing I will say that. I think I save it and feel a little better about the burnt money.

5. Big G

Big G Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Yeah, the 5280 pod bag has looked the same to me the last two orders. If you shake the bag a bit and hold it up to the light and use a magnifying glass you can see the pods moving around.

6. mitch91175

No amount of shaking was going to make my bags look remotely similar to the picture posted above.

7. AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hi,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your order. We offer a 100% Alive On Arrival Guarantee on every order and are happy to replace anything you are not completely satisfied with free of charge, if you are still not satisfied with the replacement order we will issue a full refund. This policy keeps us accountable to our customers as it allows them to ultimately have the final say on if we went above and beyond their expectations to earn their business which is our goal with every order. It sounds like you may have had a DOA which happens sometimes if the package gets too hot or too cold in transit. The copepods are small and look like tiny little dust specs in the water, the smaller size is intentional because we feel that offering a wide range of copepods of all sizes and life stages is the best way to seed your tank with a healthy copepod population. The best way to see the pods is to gently swirl the bag to shake them off the sides and bottom, then hold the bag up to a light and look through the bag. You should be able to see thousands of tiny little dust specs and they should be actively swimming and lively in the bag. If this is not the case or if you are not satisfied for any other reason with your order please contact us at 772-444-7637, or by email at support@algaebarn.com and we promise to make it right for you.

Again, thank you for brining this to our attention and we look forwarding to hearing from you.

Lan

Dtfnemo, Cherub, SteedC and 3 others like this.
  8. mitch91175

Wow that was fast. I will send you an email.

9. AlgaeBarn

That would be great and we will be more than happy to help and make this right for you!

Lan

10. mitch91175

Email sent.

11. andyg1960

andyg1960 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Problem with this is if you "swirl the bag"you cant tell if live pods are swimming or if pods that may not be alive are flying around in the swirling water. I've ordered from algae barn many times and I'm never quite sure if the stuff is alive or not.

tigertym57 likes this.
  12. AlgaeBarn

If you are ever not happy with any order you receive from us please contact us at 772-444-7637 or email us at support@algaebarn.com and we will make it right. Thank you!

Lan

Dtfnemo and DSC reef like this.
  13. mitch91175

Man these guys are fast. Already have a replacement being shipped out on Monday. That is AWESOME service. Let's hope for a just as awesome product.

DSC reef and Big G like this.
  14. Fin

Fin Is it wet yet? R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Certainly can't ask for better service, or warranty than that. I am impressed.

DSC reef, Big G and mitch91175 like this.
  15. mitch91175

Yeah I am shocked.

16. Taby

Taby Member

I had similar thoughts when I got my bag of pods but you can't argue with positive results. My aquarium glass is covered in pods and my manderin is fat. Dont tell him I said that.

Adele and Pelagic One like this.
  17. mitch91175

Ok so update on my replacement order. The 5280 pods is what I expected to see this go around. Although I did order 2 5280, I received 1 5280 pods and 1 brine shrimp. Overall I'd say that I am happy with the replacement shipment. @AlgaeBarn, that's for the quick response and I appreciate you guys coming through.

DSC reef likes this.
  18. mitch91175

The customer service at @AlgaeBarn is second to none. I had posted about only getting 1 bag of replacement and they saw it and shipped me another bag. Their presence here is 2nd to none. Awesome, awesome job and this is what we as consumers look for when we want to spend our hard-earned money with someone. Kudos to you guys and this is to me what will make me come back again. ;)

19. Big G

Big G Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to post. So often we usually/frequently only hear the bad service reports. Nice

~ Gary

DSC reef likes this.
  20. mitch91175

Hey I figured it is only right to be fair on both sides. Give praise when it is due and let ‘me have it when deserved. In this situation I just got a bad shipment.

Big G likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted