First Anemone advice

dreamcatcherr9

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2020
Messages
840
Reaction score
833
Location
Las Vegas
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m am very close to pulling trigger and buying my first anemone. My issue, fear (?). I have read many stories now of anemone dying and nuking tanks.

My tank is 240g plus (fish only, mostly aggressive, 1 little hammer coral). I have a minimal aquascaping and the rock structure is 6” away from glass walls and at least 8” away from nearest wavemakers. I have 4 (power heads / wavemakers) on the back wall, but not close to rocks at all.

I know anemones like to move and find their own spot; do they “float” in the water column when moving? I would think a anemone would have to float on water pretty high to get to pumps.

Are there tell tale signs if anemones is sick or dying (do to lighting, poor quality, bad acclimation, etc). Basically, is there time to react if something starts going wrong?

Any advice of a first anemone (do’s, Sony’s, suggestions)? Thank you!
 
All the host anemones require high light, and well run stable water parameter. Having a FO tank, aggressive fish at that, it is unlikely that you have a good stable water parameter to keep a host anemone. I would recommend against this.
maybe you should get a Rock Flower anemone or a Maxi Mini Carpet. These are extremely beautiful anemones but do not host clownfish.
If you are dead set on getting an anemone, tell us your light and circulation. Test parameters, especially Nitrates and Phos.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new