First aquarium ever build

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first ever build of a saltwater aquarium. I intend to start out with fish only but likely will move into some coral down the road. I’ve been reading through a ton of the posts on here and think I have most of the equipment decided upon. I just wanted to throw my list up here and see if anyone had some feedback on if I’m doing this even remotely correct.
I have already purchased a 55gal tank which was used on FB marketplace. It came without a lid so I purchased a clear acrylic one from Amazon. Initially I was going to do a canister filter but it seems like a sump is better so I think I’ll go that route.
Here is a list of parts I’m considering purchasing.
1) CPR Aquatics Deluxe CS90 Overflow with lid and air pump.

2) Trigger systems platinum 26 sump with fleece roller

3) Reef Octpus Classic 110INT 4” Internal Protein skimmer (not sure exactly what this does but it seems necessary and I’m sure I’ll figure it out eventually)

4) Neptune Systems GRO Refugium light with flat tank mount bracket.

5) Eheim 1260 Universal Pump (640gph)

6) CPR Aquatics return jet for 1/2” to 3/4” tube

7) Bulk Reef Supply 300w Titanium heater w/ helio controller.

I would appreciate any feedback on if I have everything needed or someone would recommend something different, or that I just give up and buy a puppy instead(at this point it seems cheaper). I do realize a few things are missing such as the tank light which I’m still deciding on and since I won’t be growing coral right away, I will probably try to save some money on that for now. But if anyone can chime in and tell me if it seems like I’m on the right track with equipment and have relatively what I need to get a tank running that would be awesome. I’m open to any and all suggestions.

OP
OP
bhanko

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important part of biological filtration which is live rock wasn't me mentioned...I'd definitely use live rock
Are you referring to live rock in the actual aquarium or in the sump? I do intend to implement live rock into the aquarium. Sorry I didn’t mention it. This is a ton to learn I never realized how complicated this could be. But also fun. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to live rock in the actual aquarium or in the sump? I do intend to implement live rock into the aquarium. Sorry I didn’t mention it. This is a ton to learn I never realized how complicated this could be. But also fun. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.
In the aquarium is most important but the sump can help to. Try to get live rock actually from the ocean.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back