First Build ever, 34g Bowfront

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So per advice figured I would put my self esteem on the line and start a thread on the first ever salt build. 24hr leak test completed and got the back painted and filter installed today. Starting as a Fowler then moving to Corals if I can keep the fishies alive and healthy.

Fish1.jpg Fish2.jpg Fish3.jpg

OP
OP
Kinjirra

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added another two friends today. Tank has been stable for testing. API Ammonia is hard to read but steady. No Nitrite and about 5ppm for nitrates from Salifert for the last 5 days. Also added three Nassarius snails but one looked bad from the LFS and died sometime shortly after adding him to tank. He was buried with full honors. I introduce Bob the Gobi and Scampi the Fire Shrimp
scampandbob.jpg
Scampi1.jpg bobcave.jpg

OP
OP
Kinjirra

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: Added some hermits for CUC since shrimp murdered my snails. Red and Blue legs. Lost one for whatever reason but the rest are doing good. Going through ugly brown stage as you can see. Added homemade HOB Refugium this evening to help bring down my Phos and Nitrates and balance the system more. Will be adding pods soonish.
20201113_132035.jpg
20201113_132021.jpg
20201114_221544.jpg

OP
OP
Kinjirra

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking good! I wouldn't worry about snails until the tank goes through it's green stage. There isn't much food for them as it stands right now.
Was thinking about getting some sand stirring critters as I have brown on my sand now...maybe a conch or something.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So per advice figured I would put my self esteem on the line and start a thread on the first ever salt build. 24hr leak test completed and got the back painted and filter installed today. Starting as a Fowler then moving to Corals if I can keep the fishies alive and healthy.

Fish1.jpg Fish2.jpg Fish3.jpg
Love the courage. To my own detriment, I did not join R2R until I was a few years into the hobby.

Welcome :)

A71FEC95-FBD7-49F0-AAE6-F4B61695832F.gif

OP
OP
Kinjirra

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update?
Not too much to report except some bad news. Added a Pack of chromis and an orchid Dottyback. Sadly 2 chromis died of uronema and the orchid brought brook or velvet into the tank. Almost lost my Female Clown but she has recovered well and doing great. I did lose my Fire Shrimp to a bad molt compounded with salinity getting high.

I did add a Fluval Clarifying UV during all this disease outbreak in the hopes of it killing nasties in the water column. Also added a Conch who wont stop growing....interesting critter

Currently just letting the tank settle. Current plans are to replace the shrimp since my Goby is depressed now(they were friends) and continue to let the tank mature.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back