• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

First Build Thread!!

Riley Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have been reef keeping about 18 years ( missed 5 in the middle) and somehow I never made a build thread. To be honest I am not a great photographer and so I never thought it worth it.

My theme id say is deff wrasse/sps dominant however i have some of everything. I moved 4 months ago and thus this tank is brand new!

Equipment:
Light - xr30 pro g4/ xr15 pro g4/ reefbrite
Pumps - 2x ecotech mp40 es, 1 mp10 qd, icecap 1k, tunze nanostream
Tank - red sea reefer 250?? I use the question marks as i bought it used listed as a 250 however its 4 ft lol
Return - COR 15 Return
Controllers - Apex, Trident
Dosing - Esv 2 Part, AcroPower
C02 scrubber / ghetto reactor fuge

FishList:
-radiant wrasse
-flasher wrasse
-ornate leopard
-copper band
-x3 clowns
- lawnmower blenny

Param:
Ph: (most important) 8.3 day 8.15 night
Alk: 7.7
Cal: 430
Mag: 1440
Phos: .003 (triton icp) - kalk :/
Nitrate: 2-5 ppm

Will post pictures tomorrow!

OP
R

Riley Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Tried to get a pic before lights out but sadly they shutoff after the first frag pic

image.jpg

OP
R

Riley Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Wait how big is the tank?
[/QUOTE]
I think this is a reefer 250 but im not sure.. bought it used and its 4 ft measured when reefer 250s should be 3

Dark_Knightt

View Badges
Reaction score
Wait how big is the tank?
I think this is a reefer 250 but im not sure.. bought it used and its 4 ft measured when reefer 250s should be 3
[/QUOTE]
Then your stocking is good. With a tank that size id get a mandarin pair but those arent for everyone. Super cute fish with personality, but very picky eaters, that acctually shouldnt be hard in a 250g

OP
R

Riley Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks! Sadly the copperband wont be with me long term. I still have a 90 setup at my moms house from before i moved out that she tends to. She wants a copperband but is worries about it eating.. i feed my fish alot so i got one and am basically Qting it until its healthy/ eats pellets. Love mandarins, i had a pair of scooter blennys for several years in the past. Great fish.

OP
R

Riley Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention! Best part about this build is the rock. It is all rock from when I was a kid which is all figi / tonga before the imports were banned. Found them In the attic and knew what i had to do. Cycled them in a bin for 2 months at 86F, 100% water change every 2 days with 10 mil of seed.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention! Best part about this build is the rock. It is all rock from when I was a kid which is all figi / tonga before the imports were banned. Found them In the attic and knew what i had to do. Cycled them in a bin for 2 months at 86F, 100% water change every 2 days with 10 mil of seed.
I am curious to know more about this as I will be going through this soon with some dry rock. When you say “cycle” do you mean cure? Or did you cure and cycle outside the tank? Is there a benefit from keeping the temperature high? What are you seeding with?

OP
R

Riley Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello! So by cycle i mean just adding / establishing nitrifying bacteria. You can move them to a tank and as long as theres not major changes most will survive. Bacteria grows faster at 84-86 from what i have heard, as well it doesnt allow for as many algae’s to grow that would likely flourish in a reef tank. I seeded the rock with seed by aquavitro and then once moving to the tank I dosed several different bacterias (fritz/ dr tims) to have a diverse bacteria pop.

OP
R

Riley Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Snapped a few pics this morning. First few are of equip and then some corals. Please note that when I moved i had to cut down most my corals so this is more of a restart!

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

How concerned are you about high phosphates in your tank?

• VERY Concerned

Votes: 80 21.9%
  • Somewhat Concerned

Votes: 214 58.6%
  • NOT Concerned At All

Votes: 67 18.4%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 4 1.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors