First Build Thread!!

Riley Quinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I have been reef keeping about 18 years ( missed 5 in the middle) and somehow I never made a build thread. To be honest I am not a great photographer and so I never thought it worth it.

My theme id say is deff wrasse/sps dominant however i have some of everything. I moved 4 months ago and thus this tank is brand new!

Equipment:
Light - xr30 pro g4/ xr15 pro g4/ reefbrite
Pumps - 2x ecotech mp40 es, 1 mp10 qd, icecap 1k, tunze nanostream
Tank - red sea reefer 250?? I use the question marks as i bought it used listed as a 250 however its 4 ft lol
Return - COR 15 Return
Controllers - Apex, Trident
Dosing - Esv 2 Part, AcroPower
C02 scrubber / ghetto reactor fuge

FishList:
-radiant wrasse
-flasher wrasse
-ornate leopard
-copper band
-x3 clowns
- lawnmower blenny

Param:
Ph: (most important) 8.3 day 8.15 night
Alk: 7.7
Cal: 430
Mag: 1440
Phos: .003 (triton icp) - kalk :/
Nitrate: 2-5 ppm

Will post pictures tomorrow!

OP
OP
R

Riley Quinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to get a pic before lights out but sadly they shutoff after the first frag pic

image.jpg

OP
OP
R

Riley Quinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait how big is the tank?
[/QUOTE]
I think this is a reefer 250 but im not sure.. bought it used and its 4 ft measured when reefer 250s should be 3

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait how big is the tank?
I think this is a reefer 250 but im not sure.. bought it used and its 4 ft measured when reefer 250s should be 3
[/QUOTE]
Then your stocking is good. With a tank that size id get a mandarin pair but those arent for everyone. Super cute fish with personality, but very picky eaters, that acctually shouldnt be hard in a 250g

OP
OP
R

Riley Quinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Sadly the copperband wont be with me long term. I still have a 90 setup at my moms house from before i moved out that she tends to. She wants a copperband but is worries about it eating.. i feed my fish alot so i got one and am basically Qting it until its healthy/ eats pellets. Love mandarins, i had a pair of scooter blennys for several years in the past. Great fish.

OP
OP
R

Riley Quinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, forgot to mention! Best part about this build is the rock. It is all rock from when I was a kid which is all figi / tonga before the imports were banned. Found them In the attic and knew what i had to do. Cycled them in a bin for 2 months at 86F, 100% water change every 2 days with 10 mil of seed.

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, forgot to mention! Best part about this build is the rock. It is all rock from when I was a kid which is all figi / tonga before the imports were banned. Found them In the attic and knew what i had to do. Cycled them in a bin for 2 months at 86F, 100% water change every 2 days with 10 mil of seed.

I am curious to know more about this as I will be going through this soon with some dry rock. When you say “cycle” do you mean cure? Or did you cure and cycle outside the tank? Is there a benefit from keeping the temperature high? What are you seeding with?

OP
OP
R

Riley Quinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So by cycle i mean just adding / establishing nitrifying bacteria. You can move them to a tank and as long as theres not major changes most will survive. Bacteria grows faster at 84-86 from what i have heard, as well it doesnt allow for as many algae’s to grow that would likely flourish in a reef tank. I seeded the rock with seed by aquavitro and then once moving to the tank I dosed several different bacterias (fritz/ dr tims) to have a diverse bacteria pop.

OP
OP
R

Riley Quinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snapped a few pics this morning. First few are of equip and then some corals. Please note that when I moved i had to cut down most my corals so this is more of a restart!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.6%
Back