First Build - Toadie's Reefer 250 V3

Toadstool92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Well tank arrived yesterday and I've been working at it. Got the Stand built yesterday. Today started messing with some of my equipment. Seems like the Jebao DCP-5000 fittings don't fit my return line hose. Hose is a 16 mm, but the fittings I received are 21, 26, 32. So not sure if I can just pop over to Lowe's/Home Depot to get a 16. Thoughts?

Today basically just going to work on setting up the Sump, Piping, Put Tank in place on stand. Also started my RODI Unit (4 gal/hour, need like 55-60 gal) so it'll probably be a while before I have water in the tank.

The Fuge area with divider is going to make it a little more difficult to fit the heaters in the Sump, but I'll angle them somehow and figure that out.

System -
1x Reefer 250
2x Hydra 26
2x Hydra 26 Fixtures
1x Quantum Nyos 120
1x Jager 150W Heater
1x Jager 100W Heater
1x RO/DI 4 Stage 100 GPD
3x Jebao PP-8 Powerhead
1x Jebao DCP-5000

Also ordered these for my return output nozzle all Loc-Line: (Shout out to @Broadfield for his post)
1x 1/2" NPT Connector
1x 1/2" Y Fitting
2x 1/2" Modular Hose (6 segments)
2x 1/2" Round Nozzle

Testing:
1x Refractometer
1x Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit
1x Hanna Phosphate Tester

Other:
200 G Sack Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
60 lbs of Reef Saver Dry Rock
50 lbs of Pink Fiji Sand
4 oz Aquastik Epoxy (Grey)

IMG_8807.JPG
IMG_8808.JPG

OP
OP
Toadstool92

Toadstool92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh....Well leak test failed. Seems to be a leak coming from the bulkhead up above on the return and the drain. Emergency drains seems fine though. I've tightened those as much as possible so I have no idea why it's leaking. Very frustrating. Now that I've drained it down a bit, I can't even take those upper pipes out.

IMG_8836.JPG
IMG_8837.JPG

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ro/di seems to be a 100 GPD unit which is pretty good.

When with a 200 GPD unit it still takes about 30 minutes to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

Waiting on ro/di is part of the hobby [emoji2]

OP
OP
Toadstool92

Toadstool92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ro/di seems to be a 100 GPD unit which is pretty good.

When with a 200 GPD unit it still takes about 30 minutes to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

Waiting on ro/di is part of the hobby [emoji2]

Haha yeah its definitely the longest process!

Sorry to hear about the leaks, I'd open a support ticket with RedSea - https://www.redseafish.com/tech-support-form-p-c/

Hey man! Thanks for the link. I'll fill it out. Think applying the silicone as sithrico did would be fine or wait to hear back from RedSea?

Also, I've been using your videos as a guide haha. They've been super helpful for me.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah its definitely the longest process!

Hey man! Thanks for the link. I'll fill it out. Think applying the silicone as sithrico did would be fine or wait to hear back from RedSea?

Also, I've been using your videos as a guide haha. They've been super helpful for me.

I'm not sure on the silicone, personally I would wait to hear back but that is up to you. It's a brand new tank you shouldn't have to apply silicone to stop a leak. I've not had my tank leak in that location, but I have had leaks with the pipes leading into the sump. I've had to reseat them multiples times to correct the issue. This is of course only when I mess with the pipes and most recently I replaced my sump. The emergency drain had to be disconnected and reseated many times before I got it to stop!

Also, thanks for following along! I love hearing about others watching and learning from my mistakes. I've learned A LOT from other Reefer owners!

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to follow this. Just got back into the hobby with an IM Nuvo 20 two months ago, but I'm eyeing the Red Sea Reefer 250 (or a Waterbox, can't decide) very hard!

OP
OP
Toadstool92

Toadstool92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up applying the silicone and it stopped the leaking, but I'll be keeping an eye on it over the next few days to make sure its holding up well. I decided on the rockscape for now, I'm digging it so far. So is my pup.

IMG_8853.JPG

I'm not sure on the silicone, personally I would wait to hear back but that is up to you. It's a brand new tank you shouldn't have to apply silicone to stop a leak. I've not had my tank leak in that location, but I have had leaks with the pipes leading into the sump. I've had to reseat them multiples times to correct the issue. This is of course only when I mess with the pipes and most recently I replaced my sump. The emergency drain had to be disconnected and reseated many times before I got it to stop!

Also, thanks for following along! I love hearing about others watching and learning from my mistakes. I've learned A LOT from other Reefer owners!

I ended up trying it and it fixed the problem so far, but I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how it holds up.
Oh wow that sounds like it was a pain as well. Once those pipes are in there its tough to get them out!
Yeah no problem! Its been a huge help.

Excited to follow this. Just got back into the hobby with an IM Nuvo 20 two months ago, but I'm eyeing the Red Sea Reefer 250 (or a Waterbox, can't decide) very hard!

Yeah this is my first SW tank ever so I'm excited, but nervous about the process haha. 6 months of researching and here we are though.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Welcome to R2R, I also have a Reefer 250 V3 and look forward to viewing your build. :)

Thanks! Do you have a build thread?

OP
OP
Toadstool92

Toadstool92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well checked on the piping this morning. A leak has emerged through the silicone. Have to see what Red Sea says, but at this point I'm thinking a replacement tank? Not sure.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back