First (clam) ultra maxima

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I purchased an ultra maxima clam about a month or so ago. I had it laying in front on the sand of my 24x24x20 Radion powered cube. It seemed happy & open. I had to move my tank to another house 2 weeks ago. I put it back in the sand. When I would wake up in the morning I would notice the clam is on a slight angle(I would move it upright). It's not angling towards the light or anything because it's facing a different direction. I was wondering if one of the big mexican turbo snails was making it tilt by climbing on it at night. That being said; I placed it on a rock yesterday afternoon. The foot section is off the ground because that's the way my rock is. I was curious how long the "foot" is. I haven't seen him put it out yet.

Old picture in last setup:
IMG_1094.jpg

Where I have it now.
513.jpg

514.jpg

528.jpg

Thanks for the help in advanced!

roblshan2000

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clam moved around my tank for about a month or two before it found it's happy place. Not quit as much as my RBTA, but all around about a 4-5 inch spot in the tank. I kept moving him back to where I wanted for the first week or two, but then gave up. A buddy of mine cut a piece of PVC for his to sit in and that seemed to work, so you could try that. My clam is small (only about4 inches), and I think his foot is about 2-3 inches long. Just a guess. Hope that helps at all.

OP
OP
kevinf

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure about your clam problem, but I am a huge Dark Crystal fan. Nice avatar man!:hail:

haha. I've actually never even seen it. Just liked the photo.

My clam moved around my tank for about a month or two before it found it's happy place. Not quit as much as my RBTA, but all around about a 4-5 inch spot in the tank. I kept moving him back to where I wanted for the first week or two, but then gave up. A buddy of mine cut a piece of PVC for his to sit in and that seemed to work, so you could try that. My clam is small (only about4 inches), and I think his foot is about 2-3 inches long. Just a guess. Hope that helps at all.

Thanks for the info

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The byssal threads can be up to about 2" or so long. It may take weeks for it to attach.

Does it open up more than it is in the recent pic's?

OP
OP
kevinf

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The byssal threads can be up to about 2" or so long. It may take weeks for it to attach.

Does it open up more than it is in the recent pic's?

Indeed it does. That's when I just moved it, so it was mad. I'll try to take some pictures today when the light is on

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back