Will maxima be able to support itself upright on flat rock?

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 5 inch Maxima a couple days ago, and I put it on a flat cut macrorock supported upright by a few rubble pieces. I heard it only takes a day or two for the foot to attach. Today I tested and felt that the foot is attached to the flat rock now, but if I remove the rubble pieces supporting it, it starts tipping over. Will it's foot eventually get strong enough to hold itself upright? I heard maxima's bore, would it eventually bore into the rock?

20240211_001247.jpg
20240208_191148.jpg

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 5 inch Maxima a couple days ago, and I put it on a flat cut macrorock supported upright by a few rubble pieces. I heard it only takes a day or two for the foot to attach. Today I tested and felt that the foot is attached to the flat rock now, but if I remove the rubble pieces supporting it, it starts tipping over. Will it's foot eventually get strong enough to hold itself upright? I heard maxima's bore, would it eventually bore into the rock?

20240211_001247.jpg
20240208_191148.jpg
It should be fine, but if it’s attached to different pieces of rock that can move apart you risk tearing the byssal (foot) threads again. Clams can push themselves over if they’re not snug. Just remember to keep everything together under there if you move it. Sweet clam too.

OP
OP
E

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine, but if it’s attached to different pieces of rock that can move apart you risk tearing the byssal (foot) threads again. Clams can push themselves over if they’re not snug. Just remember to keep everything together under there if you move it. Sweet clam too.
My goal is to be able to remove the rubble rocks, if only the clam can stay upright without the extra support.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to be able to remove the rubble rocks, if only the clam can stay upright without the extra support.
The natural behaviour is to nestle itself between the rocks for more protection. While it may be possible, I think the clam would not prefer to be on a flat rock.
Why is the goal to remove the rocks on the side? Personally I would glue the rocks like they are now, creating a nice cradle for the clam.

OP
OP
E

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The natural behaviour is to nestle itself between the rocks for more protection. While it may be possible, I think the clam would not prefer to be on a flat rock.
Why is the goal to remove the rocks on the side? Personally I would glue the rocks like they are now, creating a nice cradle for the clam.
I just thought it would be cool being able to see the entire shell of the clam. I think I'll give the clam a week, if it's still wobbly, I'll glue down the supports. How wide do clams open their shells, should I leave room for the clam to move itself, or should it be snug when I glue in the rocks?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These clams are only partially exposed and are usually bored into rocks/corals on the reef. They don't go as deep as crocea, but they like to be snuggled in. I would just leave the pieces in place and over time the clam might push them out of the way? Give it some security with the rubble and it should settle in quicker. Do whatever makes the clam happy, not you. :p
I wouldn't glue down the pieces yet or at all. The clam will orient itself according to light and flow, so it may not be in its preferred place yet.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do whatever makes the clam happy, not you. :p
Totally agreed.

I wouldn't glue down the pieces yet or at all. The clam will orient itself according to light and flow, so it may not be in its preferred place yet.
This is actually better advice than I gave you, didnt think about the clam moving, which they will for sure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back