First Clownfish not exploring tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prijrco
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Prijrco

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2025
Messages
37
Reaction score
28
Location
Ferndale, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 170 Gallon Innovative Marine EXT tank. I cycled the tank for about 3 - 4 weeks starting around April 9, added four clownfish from ORA on May 21. I know that clownfish “host” certain areas or things, but my four fish haven’t ever really left the confines of their corner. I work midnights so I’m not usually home most nights, some times three of the fish get kind of zoomed and race across the tank for an hour before they sleep on the sand bed in the corner. I put in caves/arches in my rock work to hopefully make them feel more secure. I have 3 wavemakers (2 AI Orbit 4 running at 10% and 15% max randomized flow, and one Nero 7 along the back wall running at 15% max randomized flow). I have attached a YouTube video link

I’m just wondering if it’s possible that it’s too much flow stopping them from exploring the tank? When I ordered my clownfish Jordan from ORA helped me by getting me extremely small fish (attempting a small group) in the hopes they would not be aggressive toward each other when older.

I haven’t had any issues with the tank besides about some of my clean up crew dying, but I think it’s because I wasn’t feeding enough for them to eat. I put in an “50 gallon clean up crew” from saltwater aquarium around May 30. I chose a smaller crew because I only had 4 fish. All of my crabs, ceriths, and nassarius snails have survived but I’ve lost 4 of 5 Mexican turbo snails and about 5/10 of astrea snails.

Nitrates test around 10-15 ppm on the Hanna checker. I’m running a Reefmat 1200, Reef Octo Elite 220-int skimmer with Co2 scrubbing, carbon, and a RedSea Reef ATO.

My next tasks are two ati Straton X, and switching my reactor pumps to DC pumps for less noise and vibration.




IMG_6626.png IMG_6627.jpeg
 
It looks like they found the spot where food is most abundant in the water column
 
from your video, those fish look happy and healthy to me. adding in other fish will certainly help give your current fish more confidence to swim around and interact with all of the space in your aquarium.
 
Hey sorry for the late reply. They are all doing well. My black frostbite seems to be the boss/female. She picks at the black storm and regular frostbite occasionally. The do the little submission twitches to her. She seems to like the orange storm. She completely ignores him. All four of them still hang out. I quarantined two royal grammas from Petco for about three weeks the prazipro and Ich-x. Added them to the tank about 4 weeks ago and everyone is getting along. Adding them seemed to make the clowns more willing to explore the tank. They still host one structure pretty heavily, I added in a few more caves as well, they will sometimes go and hang out in those. All in all so far so good.
How are the clowns doing and do you still have the same amount?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new