First Controller Setup Questions

mortician

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,

I have have a 40 gallon breeder setup for about a year now and I am wanting to get into some heavier monitoring and automation. I have a DIY kit ATO and protein skimmer in a sump.

After researching the different brands of I buy new I think I want to go the coralvue hydros route most likely the x4 controller with xp8 starter kit. Otherwise I will keep my eye out for a used apex.

I am mostly wondering what are the most useful additions after the controller. It seems alkalinity/KH is hard to monitor for less than a few hundred dollars (or more). The coralvue hydros comes with temperature and pH probes. I am just trying to get an idea on what everyone recommends getting next from that starting point after getting a new controller setup.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
M

mortician

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,

I have have a 40 gallon breeder setup for about a year now and I am wanting to get into some heavier monitoring and automation. I have a DIY kit ATO and protein skimmer in a sump.

After researching the different brands of I buy new I think I want to go the coralvue hydros route most likely the x4 controller with xp8 starter kit. Otherwise I will keep my eye out for a used apex.

I am mostly wondering what are the most useful additions after the controller. It seems alkalinity/KH is hard to monitor for less than a few hundred dollars (or more). The coralvue hydros comes with temperature and pH probes. I am just trying to get an idea on what everyone recommends getting next from that starting point after getting a new controller setup.

Thanks in advance!
FYI I haven't gotten into corals yet but I am wanting to get some bubble tip anemones and corals and want to be able to monitor parameters to give them the best chance at thriving.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hydros. The X4 with the XP8 is a good start. I started with the X4 starter kit. The XP8 was not available at the time I started or I would have gone that route. I have a 42 gallon hex tank. I also have a mixing station in my garage 35ft from the tank. My ATO and AWC pumps and RODI are in the garage. I started my Hydros system there with the X4. I was using the Archon at the time and slowly replaced it with the Hydros system. I now have 12 Hydros controllers with 10 in the same collective. Here is a link to my build thread here on R2R https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/canopy-and-stand-build-for-42-gallon-hex-tank.317822/page-7 . If you don't want to use the link click on my build thread banner and goto page 7.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my hydros currently has the leak detector, Hydros ATO kit, Temp sensor, and ph sensor.

I've been reading about rumours of additional sensors to be released since last year, but no concrete info on what will be released when.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my hydros currently has the leak detector, Hydros ATO kit, Temp sensor, and ph sensor.

I've been reading about rumours of additional sensors to be released since last year, but no concrete info on what will be released when.
The flow sensors, triple level sensors and float switch sensors are new.

oceanslide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d look at the Apex or Apex Pro version if you really want to be able to control everything, and from there you can expand. I like the added breakout box which I controlled the skimmer overflow level and the under cabinet lighting to turn on when the door was opened.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back