First coral in my tank - Kenya Tree. How does it look?

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put this fellow in my tank five days ago. Three days and still acting droopy. Was mid-height to the lights. Flow probably too high. Moved him down to an island rock yesterday about 24 hours ago. Fragged him fresh by slicing away the base of stony glue and reattached him. Was easy and quick. Seems well-attached. Water chemistries are stable (tested at reputable marine fish dealer as good and ready) and yet the little gentleman remains a little flaccid. (If he were Constanza, he’d be screaming he was in the pool!). Does he look ok? I now have him on the bottom of the tank (depth 24” and lights are 14” above water level). I have not rented a PAR meter yet. Maybe I should? I am probably just being impatient. I am feeding him phytoplankton solution prior to feeding the fish and invertebrates.

IMG_4050.jpeg

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree is bombproof & in time you will be swearing about the dropped branches trying to pop up everywhere in your tank but It can also be moody and if moved, touched or shocked by change in environment it can suffer the "drinkers droop" it'll be fine.
That's some seriously clean rock when did it finish cycling?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry, you can't kill it... I wish I could... You probably just have a lack of nutrients in your tank, actually I know you do. Give it some time. Actually I personally guarantee it will be ok. If not I will send you a new frag (you just pay the shipping) They are programmed to survive, sometimes it takes a beat, but soon you will be swearing on why the heck you put this ( I am sorry, Blissfully Happy)

OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the Kenya would do well. Chemistries have been stable and cycling for a month. But yeah, it is a newer tank.
Kenya tree is bombproof & in time you will be swearing about the dropped branches trying to pop up everywhere in your tank but It can also be moody and if moved, touched or shocked by change in environment it can suffer the "drinkers droop" it'll be fine.
That's some seriously clean rock when did it finish cycling?
I have had zero ammonia and nitrates with stable chemistries for about a month now. I used dry Marco rock for the aquascape. Hoping the coralline will start popping up soon. The rock the Kenya is on is new. I deliberately put the Kenya on an island.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had zero ammonia and nitrates with stable chemistries for about a month now. I used dry Marco rock for the aquascape. Hoping the coralline will start popping up soon. The rock the Kenya is on is new. I deliberately put the Kenya on an island.
Coraline may be a slow process but In time does appear via snails/frag plugs & you will no doubt buy some coral that's mounted on a nice pinky purple piece of rock.branches will sporadically drop off the Kenya & can be mounted on frag plugs or disposed off

Jjmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that my kenya tree likes some flow to help keep it upright. I don't feed it and it's dropping frags constantly. One or two get removed each week during the water change. Give it some time and leave it alone to settle in and you'll be cursing it in no time.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has that tank even finished cycling rocks bleach white no algae what so ever if you can't grow algae how you gonna grow coral

OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline may be a slow process but In time does appear via snails/frag plugs & you will no doubt buy some coral that's mounted on a nice pinky purple piece of rock.branches will sporadically drop off the Kenya & can be mounted on frag plugs or disposed off
I did do the corelline spores from Algae Barn, so hopefully that will accelerate the process.

OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say stable chemistry.

Nitrate and phosphate of zero means things are starving
It means ammonia and nitrites are being dismantled by nitrifying bacteria, no? Nitrates remain negative because 20% water changes weekly still. Used Instant Ocean reef crystals but I am switching to Red Sea (non-Pro for now). I am feeding mysis shrimp and TDO pellets twice daily and 3mL of phytoplankton daily.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means ammonia and nitrites are being dismantled by nitrifying bacteria, no? Nitrates remain negative because 20% water changes weekly still. Used Instant Ocean reef crystals but I am switching to Red Sea (non-Pro for now). I am feeding mysis shrimp and TDO pellets twice daily and 3mL of phytoplankton daily.
Alright :)

Just a suggestion. Your tank your rules. Sharing the success I have had holding 10-15nitrate and 0.1-0.2 phosphate. You will have an ugly stage.

but coral will thrive.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. I see. You mean softies and LPS like “dirty”?
I have Sps , all seem to have polyps out and nice color.

Here's my horrible photography. Couple months strong

Attachments

• PXL_20230605_014043474.jpg
    PXL_20230605_014043474.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230522_003523022.jpg
    PXL_20230522_003523022.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 22

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put this fellow in my tank five days ago. Three days and still acting droopy. Was mid-height to the lights. Flow probably too high. Moved him down to an island rock yesterday about 24 hours ago. Fragged him fresh by slicing away the base of stony glue and reattached him. Was easy and quick. Seems well-attached. Water chemistries are stable (tested at reputable marine fish dealer as good and ready) and yet the little gentleman remains a little flaccid. (If he were Constanza, he’d be screaming he was in the pool!). Does he look ok? I now have him on the bottom of the tank (depth 24” and lights are 14” above water level). I have not rented a PAR meter yet. Maybe I should? I am probably just being impatient. I am feeding him phytoplankton solution prior to feeding the fish and invertebrates.

IMG_4050.jpeg
Shrinkage?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back