First corals added!!

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added my first corals! I picked up a gsp and devils hand. I wanted something easy, but wasn't going to spread like wildfire. I know the gsp can but it is on an island. If anyone has suggestions on the placement of the devil hand I'd appreciate it. Also any suggestions on future corals are welcomed. The pictures are of my aquascape. Devils hand (green color) is on the pile on the left and gsp is on the rock right in the middle. I'm not a huge fan of the rock in the middle of the 2 Islands but don't want the gsp to go everywhere right now. Any suggestions welcomed!
(Lighting is 2 AI Prime HD)
20210803_211901.jpg

(Picture upside down, the front of tank is top of picture)
20210803_212234.jpg

(Front of tank bottom of picture)
20210803_212252.jpg

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like you aquascape
Thank you!
Congrats on the first coral! Try to get some of that algae out of you can. ;)
I transferred rock from old tank to this and added some new dry rock and brand new sand (I've read horror stories of using old sand) so I think some are diatoms. Just beefed up my cleaning crew today to help as well. Definitely need to up water change regiment been slacking lately.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this a fantastic day? I remember the day I got my first corals.. Felt like a brand new parent.. sterilize everything that comes within 20 feet of the tank... haha it's only been a few months now, but I feel more like the guy who just had his 6th kid.. Spit the pacifier on the floor? Wipe it off on shirt corner and back in the mouth... lol

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this a fantastic day? I remember the day I got my first corals.. Felt like a brand new parent.. sterilize everything that comes within 20 feet of the tank... haha it's only been a few months now, but I feel more like the guy who just had his 6th kid.. Spit the pacifier on the floor? Wipe it off on shirt corner and back in the mouth... lol
I just happened to stop at a LFS I had never been too and their corals looked great and all pretty clean, hardly any algae on frags or in tank. I was the only one in the started asking questions and 2 frags later we are here!
I like your aquascape! It is going to look great when your corals grow out :).
I appreciate it! I loved the pictures I saw of the 2 separate islands and then made sure I set it up to place plenty of corals on the different levels. The base of the right island is a Carib sea life rock arch so there is a nice view from the side under that island. Do you think the gsp island looks out of place?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I transferred rock from old tank to this and added some new dry rock and brand new sand (I've read horror stories of using old sand) so I think some are diatoms. Just beefed up my cleaning crew today to help as well. Definitely need to up water change regiment been slacking lately.
Sounds good. Just remember: your CUC is there to help, and not to do all the work for you. ;)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the GSP at least 4" from anything else.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the gsp island looks out of place?

Your tank is your own creation. What is visually appealing to one might be quite different to another. The ONLY question you really should be asking is "Is this a place for my coral to thrive and not overrun my tank?".

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the GSP at least 4" from anything else.
Thats the plan. The rock that looks the closest on the top down picture is an overhang from that island. Will it jump up to that rock?
Your tank is your own creation. What is visually appealing to one might be quite different to another. The ONLY question you really should be asking is "Is this a place for my coral to thrive and not overrun my tank?".
The part about overruning my tank is definitely a consideration!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP reaches and spreads out. Anything within 4" or so is able to be reached. Just be diligent on trimming if needed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive never had GSP spread like wildfire and rather has thickened.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP reaches and spreads out. Anything within 4" or so is able to be reached. Just be diligent on trimming if needed.
I'll watch for it once it starts spreading and have tools at the ready!
Ive never had GSP spread like wildfire and rather has thickened.
Would lighting have an effect on if it gets thicker vs spread out? I know some freshwater plants are that way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'll watch for it once it starts spreading and have tools at the ready!

Would lighting have an effect on if it gets thicker vs spread out? I know some freshwater plants are that way.
Lighting and water flow has an adverse effect

Reefer58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just happened to stop at a LFS I had never been too and their corals looked great and all pretty clean, hardly any algae on frags or in tank. I was the only one in the started asking questions and 2 frags later we are here!

I appreciate it! I loved the pictures I saw of the 2 separate islands and then made sure I set it up to place plenty of corals on the different levels. The base of the right island is a Carib sea life rock arch so there is a nice view from the side under that island. Do you think the gsp island looks out of place?
It is what makes you happy! :) I would personally just take a day or two and see if the rock in the middle grows on you or not. If you absolutely don’t like it (and would like to rearrange it) then you can try placing it in different positions in front of your two structures and see how you like it then (of course leaving room in between the gsp rock and your main structures). You can also look up “gsp rock islands” and get some more inspiration on how others have positioned their gsp rocks in their reef tanks

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and water flow has an adverse effect
Mine is in a good amount of flow where it is positioned now. I do plan on getting another nero 5 to mix up the flow more.
It is what makes you happy! :) I would personally just take a day or two and see if the rock in the middle grows on you or not. If you absolutely don’t like it (and would like to rearrange it) then you can try placing it in different positions in front of your two structures and see how you like it then (of course leaving room in between the gsp rock and your main structures). You can also look up “gsp rock islands” and get some more inspiration on how others have positioned their gsp rocks in their reef tanks
That sound like a plan for tomorrow! If I can't decide on something I have a nuvo 10 I can put the gsp in and let it take over all the rockwork.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of how my GSP is reaching out. Probably 3 or 4" off the rock

20210803_235334.jpg

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the first coral! Try to get some of that algae out of you can. ;)
Im trying to see the algae your talking about
I see what looks like diatoms

Just added my first corals! I picked up a gsp and devils hand. I wanted something easy, but wasn't going to spread like wildfire. I know the gsp can but it is on an island. If anyone has suggestions on the placement of the devil hand I'd appreciate it. Also any suggestions on future corals are welcomed. The pictures are of my aquascape. Devils hand (green color) is on the pile on the left and gsp is on the rock right in the middle. I'm not a huge fan of the rock in the middle of the 2 Islands but don't want the gsp to go everywhere right now. Any suggestions welcomed!
(Lighting is 2 AI Prime HD)
20210803_211901.jpg

(Picture upside down, the front of tank is top of picture)
20210803_212234.jpg

(Front of tank bottom of picture)
20210803_212252.jpg
nice tank! Congrats on the corals. Don’t be like me and go so crazy you need a bigger tank inn6 months lol
Add several nassarius snails to help turn the sand bed a bit.

Ps. You can reuse sand but ya got to clean the heck out of it and I’m to lazy for that.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Just remember: your CUC is there to help, and not to do all the work for you. ;)
The point of CUC is to do the work so you don’t have to. That’s why people also stock tanks with fish that do work (I.e. algae eating fish, wrasses to clean up certain pest). The more CUC the less work unless you let things get out of hand then you have to do some work to get it back under control so the CUC can do their job right.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back