First corals added!!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm pretty sure the wife would kill me if I got a bigger tank right now. Something about using the money for bills (whatever those are). I think mine was more of a laziness issue as well.

Definetly not going to rush into filling the whole tank up with corals. I haven't decided if I'm going to stick with just soft corals, but I do like the looks of a lot of the LPS so it will probably end up a softy/LPS tank. I like the movement that some of the LPS has versus SPS that don't really move.
Hammers are generally hardy mushrooms also can be cheap and cheerful.
go slow if you can. (It is the hardest part not to fallow people with loads of experience and money to put the tank full of corals in 6 months)

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers are generally hardy mushrooms also can be cheap and cheerful.
go slow if you can. (It is the hardest part not to fallow people with loads of experience and money to put the tank full of corals in 6 months)
Shrooms would be my recommendation. Especially ricordeas are cheap and very hardy.

I would wait a while for a hammer though.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up the work! I love the overall look and will love to see many more corals in there! Love the clowns. But I just love clownfish.
I forget what the LFS had for the type they were but they are a lighter caramel color for the most post but still have some of that classic orange coloration on them as well.

@sp1187 I really like the look and placement of where your GSP!

The clean up crew is 1 mexican turbo, 5 red leg hermits, 1 tiger conch, 3 astrea, 2 of the larger nassariuss. I do need to up water changes I have been doing them about once a month. This tank set up has only been up and running since about May of this year.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrooms would be my recommendation. Especially ricordeas are cheap and very hardy.

I would wait a while for a hammer though.
I enjoy the bubbly appearance of the ricordea and from what I've researched are more predictable when they spread unlike some of the other mushrooms.
Do water changes twice a month since it's newer.
That is my goal to get into a habit of changing 2x per month.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the light caramels are called mocha?
I just searched mocha clownfish and they look very similar. I'm thinking they were labeled as chocolate. It feels like everyone has clowns but because there are so many different morphs its easy to have what looks like a completely different fish from someone else.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the bubbly appearance of the ricordea and from what I've researched are more predictable when they spread unlike some of the other mushrooms.
They actually aren’t predictable whatsoever, lol. Mine is absolutely massive and it still hasn’t split. And yet others split when they are quarter size. It’s all in genetics.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually aren’t predictable whatsoever, lol. Mine is absolutely massive and it still hasn’t split. And yet others split when they are quarter size. It’s all in genetics.
I was referring to random mushrooms popping up all over the tank because they decided to move and live a little piece behind.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to random mushrooms popping up all over the tank because they decided to move and live a little piece behind.
I see. Yes, some shrooms will uproot and move to another location in the tank (usually in cracks/crevices) if they feel stressed or if the conditions aren’t right.

I personally haven’t experienced this, but I’ve heard stories.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm pretty sure the wife would kill me if I got a bigger tank right now. Something about using the money for bills (whatever those are). I think mine was more of a laziness issue as well.

Definetly not going to rush into filling the whole tank up with corals. I haven't decided if I'm going to stick with just soft corals, but I do like the looks of a lot of the LPS so it will probably end up a softy/LPS tank. I like the movement that some of the LPS has versus SPS that don't really move.
Good idea! Yeah you do not have to go crazy and fill up with corals. Just get ones you like! Frogspawns, elegances, and other LPS may be like 30-70 dollars depending on size and color. BUT they do add a lot of size to the tank and will grow over time :)
Soft corals especially can be found pretty cheap.
But also use the marketplace or Reef2reef in general to see if hobbyists in your area are selling corals. Most of the time it can be for a cheaper price.
But definitely get what you like! Get what will make you happy! And you do not have to fill it to the brim with coral. Especially not right away
Waving hand Anthelia (some people call it waving Xenia) are also really underrated. They are abstolutely beautiful. But they can be a semi pest with their spreading so you may have to frag it back in the future, but I am sure you can give it away or sell it to someone else or a store.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Yes, some shrooms will uproot and move to another location in the tank (usually in cracks/crevices) if they feel stressed or if the conditions aren’t right.

I personally haven’t experienced this, but I’ve heard stories.
Yeah! I've experienced my ricordeas uplifting. Most of the time it's too much flow, and or stressful conditions. I put them in a shot glass or small plastic container with little rock/rubble pieces and let them attach on their own. Does not take too long, but works for me.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! I've experienced my ricordeas uplifting. Most of the time it's too much flow, and or stressful conditions. I put them in a shot glass or small plastic container with little rock/rubble pieces and let them attach on their own. Does not take too long, but works for me.
That’s a great idea! Never though to do that.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a local social media group I am in and people are always posting corals for sale, just wasn't ready for that leap yet. Here I am now though. I think I need to start a build thread so I can keep track of new coral additions/growth!

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a local social media group I am in and people are always posting corals for sale, just wasn't ready for that leap yet. Here I am now though. I think I need to start a build thread so I can keep track of new coral additions/growth!
Definitely! Make sure to post a link here, so we can all follow it! :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ricordea don't just move because they are unhappy. It's also a way to reproduce. They will self propagate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyhow, this is getting off topic and adds no advice or help to the OP. I am stepping out as of now.

GL on the aquarium I will be glad to see the progress of its future.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo how many people have leathers and enjoy them? What do you like and dislike about them?
(try and regain some sense of direction with this thread)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back