First Corals: What to avoid. What to get?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm planning on adding my first corals (probably 4 or 5) around the end of this year and was looking for some advice on what types to look at.

Mainly going for lps and softies that are fairly easy to care of, but also won't over take the tank. I imagine that may not be the easiest combo since I would think easy to care for means they probably grow and spread easily... but ???

I have a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon sump, 2 AI Prime 16hd lights, and 2 nero 3 wavemakers if that helps.

Thanks for any help.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with some softies, below are some of my favorites (pictures stolen from google)

Zoas have lots of color options, get several to start a Zoa garden
1633009648563.png

Toadstools are really easy and pretty
1633009703466.png

Sinularias have a lot of good movement
1633009761603.png

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoas put them on their own rock island. They will spread and take over your main rocks. Don't get cloves, pipe organ, Green star Polp(GSP) or xenias

Acans, Ricordea, duncan and birdsnest are great beginner corals. Echinata and Leptoseris have stinging sweepers at night so give them room to grow and sweeper distance

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the suggestions and would only add go slow. Pick 2 or 3 and see how they do over the course of 3 weeks or so then add couple more and so on. I've been adding 2 maybe every 3 weeks and definitely noticed a difference in my water parameters as more corals get in the tank because they are consuming nutrients so you need to monitor that. Water changes are typically enough to start with but as you get more corals in the tank supplemental dosing is inevitable.

Amtaylor417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the suggestions and would only add go slow. Pick 2 or 3 and see how they do over the course of 3 weeks or so then add couple more and so on. I've been adding 2 maybe every 3 weeks and definitely noticed a difference in my water parameters as more corals get in the tank because they are consuming nutrients so you need to monitor that. Water changes are typically enough to start with but as you get more corals in the tank supplemental dosing is inevitable.
100% agreed!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all are you checking Calcium, Magnesium, etc?

Right now I'm only monitoring salanity, nitrates, phosphates, pH, and alkalinity. Ammonia and Nirites have been nonexistent for a good while now so I don't really check those. I will when I add more/new fish though.

Last edited:

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to check Alk and cal. Mg I check once every 3 weeks. If you only have 3-5 frags of softies and lps your tank will not consume much and water change each week may be enough to keep alk, ca and mg in normal range. When the 3-5 frags start growing or you add more frags that may change

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all are you checking Calcium, Magnesium, etc?

Right now I'm only monitoring salanity, nitrates, phosphates, pH, and alkalinity. Ammonia and Nirites have been nonexistent for a good while now so I don't really check those. I will when I add more/new fish though.
I check all parameters but you will find certain areas need to be checked more frequently. Water changes will suffice as you get started but for me, as more corals got into the tank my phosphate and nitrates bottomed out which can create problems so I have been dosing those 2 now. Water change seems to keep my alk, cal and mag in acceptable ranges. My tank is about 1/3 filled now with soft and LPS corals and I'm already needing to supplement so you can see as your coral population increases you will need to determine which nutrients areas your tank is consuming most and supplement those areas as needed.

agueybana81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoas put them on their own rock island. They will spread and take over your main rocks. Don't get cloves, pipe organ, Green star Polp(GSP) or xenias

Acans, Ricordea, duncan and birdsnest are great beginner corals. Echinata and Leptoseris have stinging sweepers at night so give them room to grow and sweeper distance

I don't mean to hijack the thread, it's my understanding that you can have a GSP on its own island and that would prevent it to spread, or is this wrong ?

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to hijack the thread, it's my understanding that you can have a GSP on its own island and that would prevent it to spread, or is this wrong ?
I think that helps, but as someone else said in another thread... life finds a way.

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS are pretty easy. Duncans, hammers, torches, frogspawns, etc..
leathers are easy
digi's are easy. Like bubble gum or forest fire digi's. There are blue and green digi's too.
zoa's are pretty easy. I bought a single polyp Utter Chaos zoa and within a year I have 24 polyps.
encrusting monti's are also easy, like a sunset, mystic sunset, or kryptonite monti. all are easy and nice looking.

All the above have thrived in this beginner's tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen tanks with beautiful positioning of GSP so it looks like a perfect manicured lawn complimenting the yard. But others say it spreads fast and takes over the tank rocks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.3%
Back