First Ever Build

Joel S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

I had a freshwater tank many years ago but have decided to jump into a reef one. Looking for a bit of help… about to order up my tank and supplies in the coming days.

Tank:
Waterbox Marine X 60.2

Lighting:
Either Prime HD or Hydra, depending on recommendations.

Return pump:
Sicce Syncra 3.0
Or
Ecotech Vectra

flow:
Probably add in a Nero 3 or 5… also open to eco tech for möbius support

in the tank:
Marco or life rock
Caribsea Fiji pink or Bimini pink live sand
RO/DI water - likely homemade but have to figure out plumbing. Is RO from the grocery store reasonable or insufficient?
probably Red Sea pro reef salt

stocking:
Pair of clowns, exact breed open
Possibly a blenny
Royal gamma
I’d like at least one other fish if that’s not overstocking, with different colouring. I’d love a coral beauty but want a mixed reef tank and don’t want any reef unsafe fish
Variety of corals and possibly anemones once I am more confident in my reefing ability.

Am I missing anything or totally off the mark?
Thanks!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

I had a freshwater tank many years ago but have decided to jump into a reef one. Looking for a bit of help… about to order up my tank and supplies in the coming days.

Tank:
Waterbox Marine X 60.2

Lighting:
Either Prime HD or Hydra, depending on recommendations.

Return pump:
Sicce Syncra 3.0
Or
Ecotech Vectra

flow:
Probably add in a Nero 3 or 5… also open to eco tech for möbius support

in the tank:
Marco or life rock
Caribsea Fiji pink or Bimini pink live sand
RO/DI water - likely homemade but have to figure out plumbing. Is RO from the grocery store reasonable or insufficient?
probably Red Sea pro reef salt

stocking:
Pair of clowns, exact breed open
Possibly a blenny
Royal gamma
I’d like at least one other fish if that’s not overstocking, with different colouring. I’d love a coral beauty but want a mixed reef tank and don’t want any reef unsafe fish
Variety of corals and possibly anemones once I am more confident in my reefing ability.

Am I missing anything or totally off the mark?
Thanks!
Welcome to R2R!!

I would recommend you to get the Hydras HD, you will better spectrum. Regarding the the flow I would go with Ecotech, as their cables are outside the tank so you don't have stray currents. If you plan to have anemones make sure you buy the guards for the wavemakers.

For the RO/DI water, I recommed you to check if they are achieving zero TDS, if yes no problem for you. What skimmer are you planning to use?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome :)

OP
OP
J

Joel S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Seems like a great community.

I’ll probably do the hydra then - want the potential for lots of corals.

Im really needing help with the skimmer. I know very little about them…. I assume I would set that up not the first second the tank is wet?

OP
OP
J

Joel S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

I would recommend you to get the Hydras HD, you will better spectrum. Regarding the the flow I would go with Ecotech, as their cables are outside the tank so you don't have stray currents. If you plan to have anemones make sure you buy the guards for the wavemakers.

For the RO/DI water, I recommed you to check if they are achieving zero TDS, if yes no problem for you. What skimmer are you planning to use?
Oh, and do you figure one wavemaker should be ok in this tank or am I looking at multiple?

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and do you figure one wavemaker should be ok in this tank or am I looking at multiple?
The recommendation would be two wavemakers but not mandatory. There are several options Ecotech are really nice but not mandatory, you could buy Nero from AI and control lights and pumps from one app.

Regarding the skimmer I recommend you 3 brands, Reef Octopus, Nyos or Bubble Magnus. If you would like to tank to be silent I recommend you the Reef Octopus Elite you just have to check the size to make sure it fits.

I forgot the return pump from Ecotech the Vectra is a bit expensive, you may wan to check the COR20, the Reef Octopus Varios or the Sicce SDC line. I have a COR20 and is dead silent, great pump.

OP
OP
J

Joel S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommendation would be two wavemakers but not mandatory. There are several options Ecotech are really nice but not mandatory, you could buy Nero from AI and control lights and pumps from one app.

Regarding the skimmer I recommend you 3 brands, Reef Octopus, Nyos or Bubble Magnus. If you would like to tank to be silent I recommend you the Reef Octopus Elite you just have to check the size to make sure it fits.

I forgot the return pump from Ecotech the Vectra is a bit expensive, you may wan to check the COR20, the Reef Octopus Varios or the Sicce SDC line. I have a COR20 and is dead silent, great pump.
This is all awesome info, thanks again!

Any livestock suggestions?

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all awesome info, thanks again!

Any livestock suggestions?
That is probably the most difficult part because we all like different fish. I love my clowns, my blenny but I like more my gobies, they are full of personality to me. I like also dwarf angels and dartfish, with 62G I do not recommend you to keep tangs or foxface. Check the fish you want and make sure you add the most aggressive one at the end to avoid conflicts in your tank. You may want to check the different type of fish in liveaquaria.com

OP
OP
J

Joel S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank ordered!

Waterbox Marine X 60.2

now the waiting game begins, while I get the rest of my equipment on order

OP
OP
J

Joel S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bit of an update…

tank was mega back ordered. Should ship in the next 2-3 weeks as per last update

equipment list so far:

AI Prime, potentially with second or hydra once
Nyos Viper 3.0
Nero 3 , single for now, will add a second in
Eheim Trutemp 150 watt

testing:
Refractometer
Red sea test kit

marco rock and Fiji pink sand (dry)

currently, the aquascape is done and rocks are cycling in brute can. Pump and heater in the brute, and cycling using MicroBacter Start XLM.

starting to see some actual progress on the cycle, and once tank arrives I’ll mix fresh water for it and transfer the rocks over.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back