First Fish Now What?

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added my first fish and wanted to know what steps I should be taking now?
I've got a 14gall Nuvo and would like to do a couple fish, and some softies long term

1. What testing should I be doing on a regular basis long term.
2. When should I add a clean up crew and what would be best?
3. When will my take be ready for corals etc?
4. What upkeep is most important, plan is for water change 1-2weeks max

Thanks
Tony

image0.jpeg

Attachments

• Video.mov
    1.2 MB

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test ammonia daily and make sure there is none present. Go slowly with fish since your bioload is small currently. I would say add a cleanup crew anytime.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been running? You should’ve already established a good CUC. Blue legged hermits (6ish), turbo snails (4-7 depending on how heavy you feed), astrea snails (2-4 again, depending on feeding and algae growth), and probably one larger shrimp (peppermint, fire, skunk, etc) oughta do you.

OP
OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been running? You should’ve already established a good CUC. Blue legged hermits (6ish), turbo snails (4-7 depending on how heavy you feed), astrea snails (2-4 again, depending on feeding and algae growth), and probably one larger shrimp (peppermint, fire, skunk, etc) oughta do you.

Fish has only been in the take a couple days, should I add crew right away or wait a week or two?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take has been running 40 days total
Phew that’s not a lot of time. Check ammonia for sure, when it reaches 0, you’re okay for corals. Did you start with wet live rock, dry rock, or artificial rock? And did you seed the tank with anything (biospira, pods, magic juice, anything like that?)

OP
OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew that’s not a lot of time. Check ammonia for sure, when it reaches 0, you’re okay for corals. Did you start with wet live rock, dry rock, or artificial rock? And did you seed the tank with anything (biospira, pods, magic juice, anything like that?)
Started with dry rock and live sand, used Dr. Tims for cycle. I've been showing zero ammonia for a couple weeks, and have a bit of algae growth on sandbed, and touch on rocks.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with dry rock and live sand, used Dr. Tims for cycle. I've been showing zero ammonia for a couple weeks, and have a bit of algae growth on sandbed, and touch on rocks.
Alright, quick cycle it sounds like. I’d go ahead and add in about half the snails and hermits you’d need for your complete CUC. 2-5 gallons per snail so with a 14 gal that’d be 3-7 snails so I’d go with 3 right now cause you don’t have enough algae to support more than that. Turbo, margarita, and astrea snails are good algae eaters. I’d also add 2-3 blue legged hermits right now to help eat any extra food the fish leaves. Go to your LFS and ask to see the cheap stuff/ the $5-$10 section. Buy 2-3 pieces that are different (one zoa, one softy, etc) and if they do well, you’re clear for more expensive stuff! Good luck!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing wise, I’d do salinity, ammonia (watch out for spikes, if it does then a snail/hermit probably died), nitrite, nitrate, and if you plan on doing QT, also get a copper checker for that tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back