First fish recommendations. Clowns?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has finished its cycle and I'm looking at getting my first fish. It's a 240 gallon tank, eventually will be mixed reef. I also have a 40B QT. So I'm thinking of a pair of clowns for the first tenants. Thoughts? And any recommendations? The Oscellaris looks good - supposed to be hardy, and less aggressive. I'm sure I will be spending big $$ on fish and corals in the future, but I'm not sure I need expensive "designer" clowns, especially since (despite all my efforts), the first fish in the system may not survive. So I'm looking for something hardy, with personality, and that will hopefully hang out in some soft coral. (I'm still undecided about getting anemones - I don't want them moving where they're not wanted, nor do I want them breeding and taking over the tank.)

Would it be crazy to get a breeding pair for my first fish? I think that would go against what I said above, about avoiding something expensive.

Next question - where to buy the fish? I like the idea of captive-bred, and pre-quarantined would be a plus, although I'll probably quarantine them anyway.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s personal preference , and your pretty much answering your own question. QT is a must !!!! . Have fun !!! :cool:

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had a "first fish in the system" die at all let alone any more often than the last fish in the system. Should survive no prob... With that said you don't want to be stuck with fish you aren't that keen on because you expected them to die... Get the fish / clowns you want.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so any suggestions for where to buy a breeding pair of ocellaris? The google is failing me…

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarkii, Tomato, or Cinnemon 10000%

If you get one of these you can sit with us at the cool kid table

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your breeding question, they wont be able to successfully breed in your display tank (despite laying eggs - if they even continue to once transferred). At most a free snack for the tank. Actually raising them would require some intervention on your part as far as a separate system and specific food sources (rotifers, etc..)

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not looking to breed them, but thought it would be cool to have a bonded pair.
When they get ready to breed they can get pretty territorial and aggressive. You have a larger tank, so they will likely be ok, I just recommend NOT adding them as your first fish for reasons previously stated.

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the clown/anemone host as part of your tank do that later on. If you don’t plan on that, just skip clowns. There are so many other awesome fish. We had bad experience with a pair- killed several other fish after a couple of months. You have a big tank so they will probably find their own little area to settle down in. Just don’t make them the first fish- IMO

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were very aggressive, killed a Lawn Mower Blenny and a Firefish and nearly killed my yellow watchman goby. The female would drag the male around by his anal fin. Not my cup of tea. Your mileage may vary.
Curious...are you basing your opinion on all Clownfish off of this one anecdotal experience? Or have you owned multiple clown pairs that behave this way?

Have a Orange Skunk Clown pair and while I have only had them for a week, they are model citizens to their one Banggai Cardinal companion. The female even seems to appreciate hanging out with the Cardinal to get away from her tiny needy boyfriend (anthropomorphology aside this is true the female weirdly likes to hang out with the Cardinal when the blues come on)

PXL_20220712_224916926.jpg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious...are you basing your opinion on all Clownfish off of this one anecdotal experience? Or have you owned multiple clown pairs that behave this way?

Have a Orange Skunk Clown pair and while I have only had them for a week, they are model citizens to their one Banggai Cardinal companion. The female even seems to appreciate hanging out with the Cardinal to get away from her tiny needy boyfriend (anthropomorphology aside this is true the female weirdly likes to hang out with the Cardinal when the blues come on)

PXL_20220712_224916926.jpg
I would not say "all" about any species of animal. Individuals have different "personalities" (animalities) if I can invent a word. I have observed this many times in whitetail deer behavior. I can blow a grunt call at a buck, and it might come in as if on a wire. I can blow the same grunt call at a different buck, and it may make haste for the next zip code. There are no general statements that can be made about any species. Some lions are secretive and adhere to a predictable pride family scenario. Sometimes a pair of twin brothers abandon prescribed normal lion pride behaviors to team up and become the most prolific pair of man killers in recorded history (the Tsavo lions). So, call it anecdotal if you will (that is appropriate), but I will personally never own any clownfish again, based on my experience.

I would like to add that seasons change, and so do animal behaviors based on those seasons. As a bonded pair moves closer to breeding behaviors, their attitudes may also vary greatly, especially in a cube environment where the fish are stacked up on top of each other. Your mileage may vary.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have introduced clowns ( ocellaris) as the first addition twice and never had a problem. My current tank has my original two and it’s much smaller than yours. Personally I wouldn’t have a ref aquarium without them. If you don’t get ones that are paired make sure you get one larger and one smaller, it will make pairing much easier. Good luck.

slurpeee76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has finished its cycle and I'm looking at getting my first fish. It's a 240 gallon tank, eventually will be mixed reef. I also have a 40B QT. So I'm thinking of a pair of clowns for the first tenants. Thoughts? And any recommendations? The Oscellaris looks good - supposed to be hardy, and less aggressive. I'm sure I will be spending big $$ on fish and corals in the future, but I'm not sure I need expensive "designer" clowns, especially since (despite all my efforts), the first fish in the system may not survive. So I'm looking for something hardy, with personality, and that will hopefully hang out in some soft coral. (I'm still undecided about getting anemones - I don't want them moving where they're not wanted, nor do I want them breeding and taking over the tank.)

Would it be crazy to get a breeding pair for my first fish? I think that would go against what I said above, about avoiding something expensive.

Next question - where to buy the fish? I like the idea of captive-bred, and pre-quarantined would be a plus, although I'll probably quarantine them anyway.
my first two fish were clowns and they lasted the longest. don't go crazy in the beginning - i was overzealous and lost a bunch of fish

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back