First foray into saltwater

kered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fish tanks for years but always freshwater. I've kept everything from fully planted tanks (my favorite) to large south American ciclids to native Florida fish. I've always wanted to get a saltwater tank but time dedication and the expense always held me back. Well I'm finally diving in and tonight i pick up a 150gal reef ready tank.

I've been trying to do a ton of research the past month because i literally know nothing about it. I dont know what all I'll be getting with the tank but i know it includes the stand/canopy, lighting, sump/refugium, skimmer, and ato. I'm excited but the plan is to just take it slow.

My wife is already looking at the colorful fish she wants but i broke the news to her that it may be months before we get any fish. I'll likely start out with the "easy" stuff and then over the years work up to harder corals. I understand this will be a long slow process and i wanna make sure i do it correctly.

I've read most of the beginner threads here but is there any other helpful tips you've learned over the years? Or any setup advice that you wish someone told you when you set up your tank for the first time?

Heres a quick pic of my Fluval Spec V i have setup in my office.

20190607_170308-2016x1512.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! This is a great place to learn and this is a really neat community. We’re glad you’re here!

In addition to keeping saltwater fish, I have kept and bred many Florida native fishes. I am curious about your experiences with North American native fishes?

OP
OP
kered

kered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone! Several years ago, I had a 180 with a red ear sunfish, a bluegill, a warmouth, and a small largemouth bass. Blue gills if you don't already know are SUPER aggressive. Surprisingly, i was able to switch them all over to pellets. The bass took the longest. I only had that setup for about 8 months before moving.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back