First foray into saltwater

rodney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fish tanks for years but always freshwater. I've kept everything from fully planted tanks (my favorite) to large south American ciclids to native Florida fish. I've always wanted to get a saltwater tank but time dedication and the expense always held me back. Well I'm finally diving in and tonight i pick up a 150gal reef ready tank.

I've been trying to do a ton of research the past month because i literally know nothing about it. I dont know what all I'll be getting with the tank but i know it includes the stand/canopy, lighting, sump/refugium, skimmer, and ato. I'm excited but the plan is to just take it slow.

My wife is already looking at the colorful fish she wants but i broke the news to her that it may be months before we get any fish. I'll likely start out with the "easy" stuff and then over the years work up to harder corals. I understand this will be a long slow process and i wanna make sure i do it correctly.

I've read most of the beginner threads here but is there any other helpful tips you've learned over the years? Or any setup advice that you wish someone told you when you set up your tank for the first time?

Heres a quick pic of my Fluval Spec V i have setup in my office.

20190607_170308-2016x1512.jpg
That planted tank is beautiful always loved neon Tetras! Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
kered

kered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome,

Are you running CO2 in that tank. I can never get dwarf hairgrass to fill in like that.

No CO2. the key to dwarf hairgrass is taking your time and splitting it up when planting it. and i mean small pieces of only a couple strands and then space them eveywhere. they will fill in fairly quickly if they have room to breathe.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back