Status
Not open for further replies.

David Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank and this is my first inhabitant.

20160511_225614.jpg

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that you just set this tank up and theres no way its cycled and ready for fish yet, let alone a large messy eel.
Please return him before he dies :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
David Jones

David Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aware of how long my tank has been set up, didnt think so . So you choose to write negative remarks before having any concrete information to substantiate your comment.Give that same opinion much hmm? Let me give you a word of advice, It's Better To Understand Before Your Understood. [HASHTAG]#ThanksForTheWelcome[/HASHTAG]

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i am. Your other post on tuesday said you just set it up. But okay.
Obviously you dont care about the lives of your fish so good luck with this hobby.

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That eel does not seem to have enough hiding spots in there. It would be better to have a decent amount of rock work for it to live in. It's going to be very stressed if it doesn't have enough hiding spots.

Drao05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently purchased a 60 Gallon Cube reef ready tank and set it up.
"Concrete evidence"

Not attacking you, but nitrodude was just trying to give you some helpful advice. You're obviously free to do as you wish...but if you post in these forums, you should be prepared for everyone to share their opinions ('negative' or 'positive') and not get offended.

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, thanks for sharing a picture. I'm surprised by your choice in first inhabitant for a newly cycled tank. Good Luck!

OP
OP
David Jones

David Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That eel does not seem to have enough hiding spots in there. It would be better to have a decent amount of rock work for it to live in. It's going to be very stressed if it doesn't have enough hiding spots.

You said theres not enough hiding spaces for the eel but look at the picture he is complete hidden

1463067242081-118259808.jpg

OP
OP
David Jones

David Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When its ready i plan on adding a huma huma trigger, clown trigger, powder blue tang, purple tang, emperor angel fish and a dwarf lion fish

All fish will be juveniles

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking the size of the items in your tank are bigger than they look in the picture. I would still consider adding a larger cave for him.

OP
OP
David Jones

David Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking the size of the items in your tank are bigger than they look in the picture. I would still consider adding a larger cave for him.

I was planning on getting this cave that looks like an artificial brain is large and will give him ample room to hide, he looked like he koved the pirate ship, my son was so happy seeing him swim around the tank last night

OP
OP
David Jones

David Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you being facetious?

Lol no i wasnt joking thats how i plan to stock the tank,

i do plan on investing in more decor for the tank , any suggestions other than live rock,im on the second floor of an apartment and i dont really want to add anymore significant weight

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David I know you're new 2 the site and I enjoyed your other thread. But buddy please take this guy back and don't add any triggers to this. I typically refrain from this type of thread anymore when I don't agree but I'm a sucker for eels.
As an example I have a 125g 6ft that when I resetup and was researching eels, I found my tank wasn't big enough, these guys grow big and while not super active love to stretch out (my chainlink eel swims my tank daily). You will have less than a year (my eel has quadrupled in size in a year) unless another problem arises first with it.

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for sure of any rocks that are okay in saltwater. I believe I read that even most of the decorational rocks like you are currently using may be only safe for freshwater.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i do plan on investing in more decor for the tank , any suggestions other than live rock,im on the second floor of an apartment and i dont really want to add anymore significant weight

How much live rock is in this tank?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could have a tank double this size full of live rock on a second floor.
What about your sump? You could put a Marine Pure block in there?
You need something to covert ammonia to nitrates, and a way to export the nitrates.

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, this tank is way too small for almost every one of the fish you plan to add, including the eel. Also, without good biological filtration from live rock, there is no way you're going to be able to handle this type of bioload. Adding live rock will actually probably end up making the tank lighter over all because it will displace the same volume of water, which has a greater density than rock. You really need to do a ton of research about the basics of running a successful saltwater tank and proper stocking before you proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 43 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 38 23.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 38 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back