First Online order concern of Elegance Coral

Primalphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered an elegance coral online and it didn't come in the same color as Id seen on the website. I don't want to accuse anyone of anything as the site I ordered it from has been nothing but helpful and I don't feel like it was intentional. I'm looking for others opinions here. Is it possible lighting makes this much of a difference or is it possible I may have received the wrong item here? Will colors change over time as it gets used to my tank?
e-7-29-19-1 (1).jpg
IMG_20200805_153609.jpg

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting can make a HUGE difference. Coral sellers are going to have the best lighting to display their products with the most, biggest, and brightest colors.

Their picture looks to have much more blue and yours more white. Even when my lighting changes from morning to mid-day or especially moonlight, the corals look very different.

OP
OP
Primalphil

Primalphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was. Again, totally satisfied with every phase of the purchase and he's been on top of it assuring me. I'm just new to this and wanted some opinions who aren't invested in it at all. The coral itself is super healthy and I'm not unhappy with it, just the colors seemed way off

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was. Again, totally satisfied with every phase of the purchase and he's been on top of it assuring me. I'm just new to this and wanted some opinions who aren't invested in it at all. The coral itself is super healthy and I'm not unhappy with it, just the colors seemed way off
Color compounds are in corals and the types are fluorescent and non-fluorescent. That coral is definitely a fluorescent and will glow best under UV/violet/blue wavelengths. Corals need these wavelengths for growth so if you can tune your lights, bump these wavelengths up. Acclimate slowly if they're not already turned up.

U

User1

View Badges
Photograph, post processing if any, lighting, aquarium tank, glass, acrylic, depth, and water flow all play a factor here. I didn't even mention shipping stress.

Look at the coral from the top down and see if it looks any different. Long and short of it is that there is a 90% chance it will change anyway based on your system. I recently added a frag from a vendor who I love. It was a darker coral in his system and a week later in my system it is turning into a purple green thing with bright yellow green tips. Really odd but cool.

All due to my system, nutrients, lighting, and depth or placement. If you have a healthy elegance that is all that matters in my opinion. They used to be considered super easy to care for then the hobby ran into a rough patch where they are almost impossible to keep...

OP
OP
Primalphil

Primalphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. I feel good about it. He even offered to send the stuff to ship it back and refund me but I'm happy with it and will probably buy from him in the future too with the way he handled it all. I don't really want to mess with my light just to see if I can get different colors. It's been good so far so I'm gonna leave it and let it flourish.

OP
OP
Primalphil

Primalphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color compounds are in corals and the types are fluorescent and non-fluorescent. That coral is definitely a fluorescent and will glow best under UV/violet/blue wavelengths. Corals need these wavelengths for growth so if you can tune your lights, bump these wavelengths up. Acclimate slowly if they're not already turned up.

I'm using one of these that my brother gave me:

I can control the white light and blue light separately but even at high blue and low white it looks like that. I think I keep the white at 3-5% right now and the blue is set to about 70%

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back