First pillar.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
1,310
Reaction score
103
Location
Industry, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've built the base. I plan on using cable ties and epoxy to secure the rock. Then filling it in with that spray foam for ponds.
270267_1778453953416_1601405853_31366167_4212621_n.jpg


Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
 
Looks good. I like the idea of doing the foam on it. Maybe put some rock rubble over it as you foam it up to give it a rigid look, or just take something and touch the foam before it dries so its not "smooth" and looks more rock like...maybe a toothpick or something.

I just did my first pillars in my new tank two weeks ago...here they are:

2011-07-08_15-00-44_662.jpg


2011-07-08_15-01-20_91.jpg


2011-07-08_15-00-29_443.jpg
 
I saw a thread where someone else used the foam for a rock wall and then sprinkle sand on the foam before it dried. So I'm thinking I'll toss some crushed coral on it to make it blend in nicely.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
 
How buoyant is that foam? Does the rock have enough weight to keep it from floating around the tank?
 
Won't be much foam. Just enough to fill little gaps between the rock and the whole bottom of that pillar above will be under the sand.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new