First Post: 40g Cube with 20g Frag

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can move your rocks into the frag tank and/or sump, that will move your biofilter and you won't need to cycle (maybe a mini cycle).

What kind of livestock are you moving?

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can move your rocks into the frag tank and/or sump, that will move your biofilter and you won't need to cycle (maybe a mini cycle).

What kind of livestock are you moving?
Fish:
2x Clowns (about 10 months old)
1x tailspot blenny
1x blackcap basslet

As for corals there are about 25 (most are frags with a few mini colonies) and there are softies, lps, and sps.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the frags mounted to the rocks? If not, here is what I would do, in this order (I do not know if you have enough time to stage this, if not, try to at least get the rocks moved asap with some time before you move everything else):

1. move the rocks to the new system, put them wherever they will fit. That's your biofiler
2. make sure temp and water parameters match between frag/sump and the 40g
3. move the fish
4. move the softies and lps
5. move the sps

The coral is going to have to sit in frag racks or something until you have the new 40g set up.

What are you doing with your lights in this transition? This is "just" a system move, and lots of people move systems successfully, the key is in trying to maintain parameters and also try to keep the stress on the corals to a minimum. The fish will be fine, it's the corals that might be stressed by the move to new flow, light, parameters.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R Welcome.jpg

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the frags mounted to the rocks? If not, here is what I would do, in this order (I do not know if you have enough time to stage this, if not, try to at least get the rocks moved asap with some time before you move everything else):

1. move the rocks to the new system, put them wherever they will fit. That's your biofiler
2. make sure temp and water parameters match between frag/sump and the 40g
3. move the fish
4. move the softies and lps
5. move the sps

The coral is going to have to sit in frag racks or something until you have the new 40g set up.

What are you doing with your lights in this transition? This is "just" a system move, and lots of people move systems successfully, the key is in trying to maintain parameters and also try to keep the stress on the corals to a minimum. The fish will be fine, it's the corals that might be stressed by the move to new flow, light, parameters.
The corals are all on frag plugs because I knew this move would be happening. But I have a frag rack in the system now to put the corals. I have the light let up over the frag tank and will be transferring the lights from the 40g after.

I’m having an issue with bubble algae on my rocks in the 40g. If I transfer the rocks will that create an issue in the new system?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, bubble algae? Yes, you will be moving it with the rocks. How much is there, can you scrub it off?

I'd be more concerned about getting the biofilter in place, and worry about the bubbles later. If I understand your plan correctly, when you get the new 40g running, you can take care of the bubble problem at that point.

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, bubble algae? Yes, you will be moving it with the rocks. How much is there, can you scrub it off?

I'd be more concerned about getting the biofilter in place, and worry about the bubbles later. If I understand your plan correctly, when you get the new 40g running, you can take care of the bubble problem at that point.
There’s quite a bit ;Sorry My plan was to just start with dry rock in the new system so I never paid much attention to it because it hasn’t bothered any corals.

If I put the rock in my sump where there are no lights and put a few emerald crabs down there, would that help?

So my plan is to get the water in the tank tonight as well as the rock. The. tomorrow, I will move the fish, then coral, and lastly the tank.

Thank you so much for your help!

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan. Keep an eye on your parameters.

In terms of the bubbles, how long do you think it will be before you get the new 40g set up? You don't really have a big bioload, you could start to add the new rock with the old rock in the other tank/sump, and not disturb the bubble algae (that helps it spread) and just start taking the rock out as the new rock gets seeded, keeping an eye on parameters.

Keeping the lights off and using emerald crabs is going to take much longer than just pulling the rock. Using something like Vibrant is another option, but in a system your size, it is just better to pull the rock. Do you plan on reusing the sand as well?

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan. Keep an eye on your parameters.

In terms of the bubbles, how long do you think it will be before you get the new 40g set up? You don't really have a big bioload, you could start to add the new rock with the old rock in the other tank/sump, and not disturb the bubble algae (that helps it spread) and just start taking the rock out as the new rock gets seeded, keeping an eye on parameters.

Keeping the lights off and using emerald crabs is going to take much longer than just pulling the rock. Using something like Vibrant is another option, but in a system your size, it is just better to pull the rock. Do you plan on reusing the sand as well?
I can set up the 40g whenever Im in no hurry for that (moving is stressful enough lol). Is there a timeline you recommend as far as setting up the 40g/ adding the new rock.

No I’m not reusing the sand.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapping the new rock for the old rock is a matter of letting the biofilter establish itself enough on the new rock to handle the bio load after you take out the old rock. In your case, you only have four fish (the coral isn't as much of an issue). What kind of rock will you be adding, and do you think it will be about the same amount as the old rock?

The bacteria will populate everything that the water touches, so your sump, the frag tank, the new sand, etc is all surface area for the bacteria. You could probably do the swap pretty quickly (as in all of it at once), but the best way to tell if you are moving too fast is to watch your ammonia levels.

The risk you take having both new and old rock in the system for a long period of time is that the bubble algae will establish itself on the new rock. It's probably on your frag plugs, so unless you plan to clear all of that (remove frags from plugs, etc), you can be careful with the rock and not add to the risk that the frag plugs already represent.

I hate bubble algae. Most likely you will find that despite taking as much care as possible, it may show up anyway. Key thing is to jump on it right away. And with your stocking list, an emerald crab won't be a bad idea (the ones from reefcleaners.org always seem to work for me).

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapping the new rock for the old rock is a matter of letting the biofilter establish itself enough on the new rock to handle the bio load after you take out the old rock. In your case, you only have four fish (the coral isn't as much of an issue). What kind of rock will you be adding, and do you think it will be about the same amount as the old rock?

The bacteria will populate everything that the water touches, so your sump, the frag tank, the new sand, etc is all surface area for the bacteria. You could probably do the swap pretty quickly (as in all of it at once), but the best way to tell if you are moving too fast is to watch your ammonia levels.

The risk you take having both new and old rock in the system for a long period of time is that the bubble algae will establish itself on the new rock. It's probably on your frag plugs, so unless you plan to clear all of that (remove frags from plugs, etc), you can be careful with the rock and not add to the risk that the frag plugs already represent.

I hate bubble algae. Most likely you will find that despite taking as much care as possible, it may show up anyway. Key thing is to jump on it right away. And with your stocking list, an emerald crab won't be a bad idea (the ones from reefcleaners.org always seem to work for me).
I will mostly likely be using normal dry rock or real reef rock.

I also stopped by my LFS last night and they are willing to hold my fish and coral for a period of time. This seems to be the easiest and safest solution.

While I will have some time before anything goes into the tank i’m going to try and attack the bubble algae and get a good start before restocking. I plan to use vibrant as well as manually remove as much as possible. Are there any tips I should use in dosing vibrant?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have time to essentially restart the tank (with a fresh full cycle), why not just ditch the current rocks or nuke them to get rid of the bubble algae? The other methods, such as Vibrant, will take a while to have an effect. It just seems easier to start over with new rock, or treat/clean your current rock.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back