First post, and I hate it's a question!

Acroholics

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having some brown algae on my sand bed that no matter what I do from siphoning to praying to the algae gods, always comes back.

Any idea of ways to get it removed, and keeping it gone?

Some pertinent information, my phosphates and nitrates are at zero. I use 0 tds water, and do light feeding. I keep all levels in line with ESV salt I use for water changes.

Any clues? And thanks for having me here :)

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1389991866.933223.jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard. The first question is how long has the tank been set up? Looks like diatoms, which are common to new tanks and will go away after awhile.

OP
OP
Acroholics

Acroholics

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a year now, i don't think they are diatoms since they have been on the sand now for awhile. They get stringy as well

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Since it's getting stringy, it may be Cyanobacteria. Are there every any air bubbles in it?
Are you using a skimmer or a GFO reactor?

Last edited:

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like cyno.

Are you making the RO water or getting it from a LFS?

Are you running your skimmer wet or dry? If dry, you might try running it a little wetter.

Have you thought about getting a sand shifter, like a diamond goby? I'd hate to think what my sand would look like without one.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is reddish it is cyno. Try increasing your flow and may need to turn off lights for a few days. Most all nusiance algaes are caused by excess nutrients. You may want to double check your test results with a different test kit or have your lfs check it. Make sure skimmer is working good and try increasing flow throughout the tank.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need some clean up crew to keep the sand polish(hermits, snails, stars, gobies, cucumbers many options) it will grow micro algae no getting around that.

OP
OP
Acroholics

Acroholics

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own water with a TDS reading of 0. I know it's not cyano as it doesn't go on the sand or rocks. Phosphate and nitrate have been tested by myself and the lfs and both get the same readings. As far as more flow I have two mp40s on my tank that's only a 65 gallon turned up over 50% any more flow and my tank my explode.

I'm always afraid to do lights out because of the acros in my tank. I'm just starting over with acros and I would probably cry if I lost the new ones. Any thoughts on that topic?

OP
OP
Acroholics

Acroholics

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need some clean up crew to keep the sand polish(hermits, snails, stars, gobies, cucumbers many options) it will grow micro algae no getting around that.

I have a bagillion snails in the sand,
The constantly turn the sand but grows back fast

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is reddish it is cyno. Try increasing your flow and may need to turn off lights for a few days. Most all nusiance algaes are caused by excess nutrients. You may want to double check your test results with a different test kit or have your lfs check it. Make sure skimmer is working good and try increasing flow throughout the tank.
Agreed

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sand did you use?
Some types of sand has Silicate and with Silicate you get most likely a lot of Diatoms.
There are 100 good reasons to NOT use silica sand in your tank...but diatoms isn't one of them. Silica sand is will not cause a diatom bloom, however silicate will. The silicate in your common silica sand is bound and should not leach into your system. The biggest problem you have with silica sand is not the sand itself, its anything that happens to travel along with it. Search for posts on silica sand, and look for the folks that have been using it for some time. There are a few horror stories, but even more success stories. Alot of the horror stories you read are pass-alongs and not actual reefer experience (ie I read something somewhere).

OP
OP
Acroholics

Acroholics

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sand did you use?
Some types of sand has Silicate and with Silicate you get most likely a lot of Diatoms.
There are 100 good reasons to NOT use silica sand in your tank...but diatoms isn't one of them. Silica sand is will not cause a diatom bloom, however silicate will. The silicate in your common silica sand is bound and should not leach into your system. The biggest problem you have with silica sand is not the sand itself, its anything that happens to travel along with it. Search for posts on silica sand, and look for the folks that have been using it for some time. There are a few horror stories, but even more success stories. Alot of the horror stories you read are pass-alongs and not actual reefer experience (ie I read something somewhere).

I have pink Fiji sand, and thank you for such a lengthy response

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pink Fiji sand, and thank you for such a lengthy response

Ok, well it's not your sand.
Not known that Fiji sand gave problems.
It must be maybe that your running your lights to strong together with bad water flow and feeding pattern.
Everything else seems good on the #.
Still I would try 3 days of darkness, no lights but also no day light.
Cover the whole tank.
I did that once and had great success on my diatom three months into setting up.
Now still I do at least a 24 hr complete darkness, every other month.
It's like the coral reef experience a heavy storm for a full day.
Would not harm the corals in any kind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acroholics

Acroholics

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well it's not your sand.
Not known that Fiji sand gave problems.
It must be maybe that your running your lights to strong together with bad water flow and feeding pattern.
Everything else seems good on the #.
Still I would try 3 days of darkness, no lights but also no day light.
Cover the whole tank.
I did that once and had great success on my diatom three months into setting up.
Now still I do at least a 24 hr complete darkness, every other month.
It's like the coral reef experience a heavy storm for a full day.
Would not harm the corals in any kind.

I have gen 2 radions at 30% at radiant color mode. I guess I will try the 3 days of no lights, hoping the sticks I put in end up okay. I had a horrible accident on my part when my doser malfunctioned and skyrocketed my alkalinity to 15 and everything melted. I'll start today!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back