First post - GPH Flow

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R, I finally made an acct since I scour these forums a lot ;Bookworm

When you think about water moving through the overflow down into the sump, then back through the return - is that rate always equal to the GPH of your return pump if all if functioning normally? Like if I have a 1500gph return, is water also moving from the tank through the overflow down to the sump at 1500 gph also? It must be if the water level is constant right?

The gph determines how high the water is in the tank right, the higher the flow - the higher the water line in the tank and lower in sump correct?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gph the pump is returning is the same gph that goes back diwn the overflow, yes.

you have to figure in head height to guesstimate how many gph you’r getting from any given pump. And most any manufacturer overestimates their gph, except maybe ehiem.

if/when you put more water in tank via return pump you will cause the water level to go up slightly. Generally a non issue, as long as you don’t go over the amount your overflow or overflow plumbing can handle

Welcome to r2r

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump, pumps water at a certain rate. The overflow can handle a max rate. As long as the rate the pump is putting out is less than the overflow max, you will be fine. So yes to the first part
The GPH has nothing to do with the water height in the tank or sump. It height will usually remain constant. WHat determines that height is the height of your overflow. If the edge of the box (where water flows into it) is low, the water level will be low. If that edge is high up in the tank then the water will be high. There is some extra water that builds up going over the edge. but its usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

The height in the sump is determined by the amount of water in the sump. Once the tank is full, the more you fill the sumps return chamber the higher the sump level will be in that chamber

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and Howdy

howdy.gif

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Your 1500GPH is probably the maximum GPH rate. Like others said, as long as your pump isnt returning more than that, you're fine. And yes, the GPH of return equals GPH of water going in to sump as long as you're not over the Max GPH.

To answer your 2nd question, to a degree you're correct. The higher the gph in to tank, the higher ur water level will be. If you exceed the mas GPH of overflow, you may end up overfilling ur tank. In respect to the water level in sump, it really doesnt matter (except that the water level must be sufficient to cover for evaporation and the pumps not the run dry). For the sump water level, the most important thing is that the sump can hold all of your drain water from your tank when the return pumps are shut off. If you have a DC pump, you can adjust the max flow in to tank taking in to consideration the drainage water when pumps are shut off (especially in a power outage situation).

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! OK about max gph and max head, let me make up some numbers for ease. Say a pump said max gph=4000 and max head is 10 feet. Is that 4000gph when there is no head (it doesnt go vertical?) or is that 4000 when it pumps up 10 feet?

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max flow at zero head

EDBC6730-F554-446B-90DA-7EDFD7D93492.gif
Useful chart!

I'm probably going to inherit my fathers old tank, dont worry its because he is upgrading ;).

If its 150 gal, and sump is 50, and the head is 6 feet. How much GPH should I get, I hear some people say 10x turnover when other people say 3x, is that number usually based on the total system vol or the display volume?

I was thinking 1000 gph pump, what do you think?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! OK about max gph and max head, let me make up some numbers for ease. Say a pump said max gph=4000 and max head is 10 feet. Is that 4000gph when there is no head (it doesnt go vertical?) or is that 4000 when it pumps up 10 feet?

Used to think 10x was best. For the last decade have been in the 3-4x camp and find it better. Think the bigger the tank the lower the gph sweet spot. On my 220 I’m doing about 3x

think ehiem 1262 would be great. That should be just shy of 4x with your setup

Last edited:

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not DC controllable pump, then you can put a ball vale on the output side to control the flow.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not DC controllable pump, then you can put a ball vale on the output side to control the flow.
And this valve wont hurt the pump? I imagine it would if the valve were closed but I would only close it a little, thats the idea right?

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good dc controllable pumps out there that allow you to program them, I know of the neptune and ecotech, any others? Are those two I mentioned reliable?

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this valve wont hurt the pump? I imagine it would if the valve were closed but I would only close it a little, thats the idea right?
Correct, just enough so that the tank doesnt continue filling... or at any lower gph that you want.... i.e. some people shoot to 4x turnover of tank volume through sump.
I chose reef octopus varios for my setup (yet to be setup). Btw, the Varios pumps can be controlled by a aquarium controller such as Neptune Apex or GHL Profilux if you are thinking of it in the near future. Otherwise, you can use the varios included controller. All dc controllers do come with a controller of their own, but not all are controllable by Apex or Profilux.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good dc controllable pumps out there that allow you to program them, I know of the neptune and ecotech, any others? Are those two I mentioned reliable?
Do a search on YouTube for "BRStv dc controlled pumps" they have a 2019 annual best of review on them. The ones you mentioned and the Varios are likely the top 3 according to their review.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on YouTube for "BRStv dc controlled pumps" they have a 2019 annual best of review on them. The ones you mentioned and the Varios are likely the top 3 according to their review.
By control do they also mean being able to turn off and on or down at a certain time or is it just control as in stronger or weaker pumping? I would like programming w timers.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back