First post! Question for tank migration.

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been a looker for a long time, so Hi to everyone on my first post, I generally post on the nano-reef and DFWMAS. I am migrating my tank a JBJ45 (mix Reed, softies,LPS and SPS) to a 120G plus a 41G sump. I am already an APEX user so I am trying to automate as much as I can with the new tank. So this is what I am going to set the new tank with, but my question is more in the sense if I am missing something or I am overkilling it. So looking more for opinions from the forum. Big investment but hope I do not do it for a while, just on livestock.

I am going to migrate all in one hit, adding new sand to the main tank, no new Rock on the main tank for now and no new stock (currently I have 40 Lbs of rock already with corals)

New tank 120G
New sump 41gallon, refug area migh put some of the old sand and probably get some small pieces of live rock just to purposes of cycling.
Skimmer redsea RSK-600
return pump Neptune Cor-20
ciruclation pumps 2 MP40.
Lighting: 2 Kessils A360WE and 1 KEssil A160WE.
Clarisea 3000K.

I already have a chiller (of course rated for a smaller tank, will see if I have to upgrade in the future)
APEX 2016 controller
NEPTUNE DOS
AND BRS reactors for GFO and Carbon.

what you think, do i need a smaller or bigger skimmer ? or too much lights? Do this equipment sounds good for the 120G.

thanks

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, Welcome to R2R!!!

I think your skimmer will be just fine for the type of tank you have and livestock as I see it rated for 150G at full bio-load.

I cant speak to much about the Kessil lighting, so Ill let someone else chime in on that. 2 MP40s are a good start, but you might end up needing some more in the long run once all your corals start growing out.

Good luck with your transition, and can't wait to see this puppy up and running.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to rinse the sand. I do this for all new tank setups and transfers for my clients. I rinse in tap to get it clear, then RO, then into the tank.

Edit: some people will say to only rinse in RO or saltwater, but Ive personally found that to only be necessary as the last step before adding to the tank. Just make sure to rinse it well with RO.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome!

I think the equipment you have chosen will do great in that tank! Considering the skimmer, it is going to make your water very very clean, which could be keeping nutrients away from your corals. So could be nice to not run the skimmer full-time untill you add more fish.

Lights will definitely be good for your corals! The only dangerous thing that will be important is the transition. Try to introduce them in the new tank with light intensity as close as to what they are in at the moment.

About the flow. 2 MP40’s will be a great start, but most likely you will end up adding some more powerheads as flow will get blocked by growing corals. But you will know better than us where and when you will have to add some flow!

looking forward to hear from you!

Last edited:

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! This is a great community and I’m sure you’ll find a lot of valuable advice here.

As far as the setup goes, congrats!! I agree that the skimmer may be fine and you will see how it holds up once your build progresses. Since you already have it, I vote to give it a shot, you may end up happy with it incorporated into your new setup also. I don’t have experience with Kessil so I’m no help there. But I do agree with @Jose Esteves in that you may need some more flow even though those MP40’s put out a good bit, it’s hard to get the coverage you want sometimes since you can’t angulate. Heater may need an upgrade since your coming from a smaller setup. But otherwise, sounds like a good plan!

OP
OP
raullozano3

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! This is a great community and I’m sure you’ll find a lot of valuable advice here.

As far as the setup goes, congrats!! I agree that the skimmer may be fine and you will see how it holds up once your build progresses. Since you already have it, I vote to give it a shot, you may end up happy with it incorporated into your new setup also. I don’t have experience with Kessil so I’m no help there. But I do agree with @Jose Esteves in that you may need some more flow even though those MP40’s put out a good bit, it’s hard to get the coverage you want sometimes since you can’t angulate. Heater may need an upgrade since your coming from a smaller setup. But otherwise, sounds like a good plan!
True forgot about the heaters, I have two right now one a 400w the other a 150w as a backup, but yep might need two bigger ones. Thanks for reminding me about it.

OP
OP
raullozano3

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome!

I think the equipment you have chosen will do great in that tank! Considering the skimmer, it is going to make your water very very clean, which could be keeping nutrients away from your corals. So could be nice to not run the skimmer full-time untill you add more fish.

Lights will definitely be good for your corals! The only dangerous thing that will be important is the transition. Try to introduce them in the new tank with light intensity as close as to what they are in at the moment.

About the flow. 2 MP40’s will be a great start, but most likely you will end up adding some more powerheads as flow will get blocked by growing corals. But you will know better than us where and when you will have to add some flow!

looking forward to hear from you!
well my corals are used to two a160 already so the a360 are more light but i can probably set them to the same intensity of the 160s

OP
OP
raullozano3

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to rinse the sand. I do this for all new tank setups and transfers for my clients. I rinse in tap to get it clear, then RO, then into the tank.

Edit: some people will say to only rinse in RO or saltwater, but Ive personally found that to only be necessary as the last step before adding to the tank. Just make sure to rinse it well with RO.
thanks on the sand, well for this setup, I did not want to risk it, I am getting help from my LFS from where i got the tank to at least help me with delivery , plumbing , sand, and water (since I can only do around 40 gallons plus the current water.) I will hook the rest and move my stock but 120g tank it is not an easy thing for a single man.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome36.jpg

OP
OP
raullozano3

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the heaters, since I already use the APEX for controlling the temperature, should i just get like a titanium heater element like a 500W or 800W one? I will keep my 300W as a backup.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll find you want more light in the future, depending on the type of corals you plan to keep. The A360s have plenty of intensity but the spread is only 18-24" depending how high they are off the water. The A160 may not penetrate to the bottom for you (I have one on my 21" softie tank, and it is maxed out all day).

You didn't post dimensions so I am basing this on a 5' tank. .

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the heaters, since I already use the APEX for controlling the temperature, should i just get like a titanium heater element like a 500W or 800W one? I will keep my 300W as a backup.

I do this and it works. I do hope to get a couple of inkbird controllers soon, just for the redundancy.

Then the lights you have will work depending on what you keep. I don't think the A160 will penetrate well.

OP
OP
raullozano3

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I am just leaving the a160 because I already have it, I would think it will not hurt. My idea is A360 A160 A360 , so I assume anything that sits high on the middle of the tank will have enough light.

OP
OP
raullozano3

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one more question, on the sump side is it better to go with the bigger i can afford, i assume yes my tank isn48x24x25 stand 48x24x36 the sump i am getting is the emerald 39 x 16 , i was planning on having my chiller inside but i have enough room on the back of the tank to host it. DOS pump are on top of it but those I can move inside the tank

OP
OP
raullozano3

raullozano3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the tank upgrade happened this weekend, very long for me, lost a cleaner shrimp, and dealt with all the things a tank upgrade requires but will mark it as a success. It seems I had a mini cycle for a day (yesterday), still dosing prime and seed, for now but no ammonia spike today.

IMG_8552.jpg IMG_8982.jpg IMG_8983.jpg

Back