First QT, Fish Purchase, and Cycle (kinda)... sound good?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I acquired a 40g breeder with 20g sump that was already cycled and has 4 fish and two shrimp. Snails and and some hermits.

We would like to add our first fish (clownfish) at Christmas or near there.

Was hoping @jayhemdal or some others would chime in and tell me if this plan sounds ok or if anything should be changed.

I have a filter sponge like the one below in my sump below my socks. It arrived yesterday. I plan to let it sit there til the last week of October and possibly add a drop or two (more? Not needed?) of Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride to attract bacteria within the next two weeks.
Screenshot_20210919-143710_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The last week of October I plan to move the filter into a 10 gallon tank with a HOB filter and 30 ppi sponge for a 40g tank and a bubbler connected to the filter. Then add Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride as directed and monitor ammonia with a red sea test kit til ammonia drops to zero. (Should I get an ammonia badge? Hear mixed results on them). (Do I need to ghost feed as well?) (Do I need a heater in during this stage?)

At that point I plan to order or go purchase a captive bred clownfish.

Once ordered I will have rodi and SW prepared and once the fish arrives I plan to match the salinity in the bag first by using a hypodermic needle and drawing some of the bag water out and then taping over the hole. Test the salinity and then match using RODI and premixed SW from storage. Then float to temp match the new water.

Once temp matched, I'll get the fish out of the bag and discard all the bag water and place directly into the new SW. Then apply a drip of my DT water to the new water over several hours (longer the better) while the fish settles in.

There will be some PVC pipes and possibly some fake plastic aquatic leaves for it to hide behind some. After a day and the fish has eaten and seems settled I'll begin Jay Hemdals quartine protocol for the next 60 days.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/

Does all this sound good? I want to say thanks to this site because I've learned so much and gathered info to make this plan, huge amounts of knowledge, and enjoyment learning about reefing and FOWLR mostly from this forum. Still learning, but that's what we do, right?

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I acquired a 40g breeder with 20g sump that was already cycled and has 4 fish and two shrimp. Snails and and some hermits.

We would like to add our first fish (clownfish) at Christmas or near there.

Was hoping @jayhemdal or some others would chime in and tell me if this plan sounds ok or if anything should be changed.

I have a filter sponge like the one below in my sump below my socks. It arrived yesterday. I plan to let it sit there til the last week of October and possibly add a drop or two (more? Not needed?) of Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride to attract bacteria within the next two weeks.
Screenshot_20210919-143710_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The last week of October I plan to move the filter into a 10 gallon tank with a HOB filter and 30 ppi sponge for a 40g tank and a bubbler connected to the filter. Then add Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride as directed and monitor ammonia with a red sea test kit til ammonia drops to zero. (Should I get an ammonia badge? Hear mixed results on them). (Do I need to ghost feed as well?) (Do I need a heater in during this stage?)

At that point I plan to order or go purchase a captive bred clownfish.

Once ordered I will have rodi and SW prepared and once the fish arrives I plan to match the salinity in the bag first by using a hypodermic needle and drawing some of the bag water out and then taping over the hole. Test the salinity and then match using RODI and premixed SW from storage. Then float to temp match the new water.

Once temp matched, I'll get the fish out of the bag and discard all the bag water and place directly into the new SW. Then apply a drip of my DT water to the new water over several hours (longer the better) while the fish settles in.

There will be some PVC pipes and possibly some fake plastic aquatic leaves for it to hide behind some. After a day and the fish has eaten and seems settled I'll begin Jay Hemdals quartine protocol for the next 60 days.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/

Does all this sound good? I want to say thanks to this site because I've learned so much and gathered info to make this plan, huge amounts of knowledge, and enjoyment learning about reefing and FOWLR mostly from this forum. Still learning, but that's what we do, right?
Jay responded in another thread about the time I posted this one about how long to leave the filter media (sponges) in to gather bacteria. Sounds like a month is the minimum... so I guess I'll plan three months, use some ammonium chloride to boost the process. And still get the fish at christmas... to hang out in QT. Lol

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back