First Reef Tank - 10G

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my first tank build.

it was inspired by both Inappropriate Reefer's Budget Build Series as well as Fragbox TV's Budget Nano Reef videos.

so for my equipment:
Standard 10 Gal. Aquarium
AquaKnight A029 30W Main Light
Reef Breeders Pico Refugium LED Light (8 Watt)
Aquaclear 70 HOB Filter (Converted to a Refugium)
Hydor Theo Aquarium Heater 50W
Smart ATO w/ 3.5 Gal. Reservoir

this tank really game together fast. i have some natural looking liverock and some Fiji pink mini-flakes for my sand and marine pure gems (to the refugium).

a few weeks after cycling i added a CUC and chaeto to my refugium
2 white clawed hermits
1 halloween hermit,
1 blue legged hermit

2 astrea turbo snails
2 cerith snails

A few weeks after that i added
two clownfish
A small branching hammer coral,
A Frag of firework clove polps
A combo Dragon Eyes/Gatorade Zoa
a Utter Chaos zoa frag
and a florida ricordea mushroom

the journey is continuing and i will try to update as i can!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great start, love to see pics when your can

exciting times

best of luck

here’s my 15
0039AABF-E72F-40D8-B070-4FA182D71A0B.jpeg
07A4B392-E7C7-4F93-AB37-0FB9FDCF06D2.jpeg
4E3B041A-7110-418C-BB07-F019F68C0D4B.jpeg

OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so apparently my phone keeps throwing an issue with uploading pictures.... image too large message. I use the app on my android. Anybody have the same issue?

OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick update. I have a leak in the silicone of the 10G. It's small but consistent. So I have went and found a deal on a 20G high. My question is I currently have an aquaknight A029 on the 10G. Do yall think that it'll still be enough on the 20 gallon high? Should I look at getting a different light? If so what recommendations do yall have? It is going to have the HOB refugium and is going to be set up as a peninsula style so an edge mounted light is definitely preferred. Still trying to get the pictures to upload.

OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, So it appears that it is enough light for now. I am still going to look for a deal on an AI Prime or a Kessil. But everyone seems to be enjoying the bidder space. I still hate that pictures won't upload. Anyone else have these picture uploading issues?

OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this week's update.... good and not so good. Everything looks to be happy and healthy. The new zoas I got from the zoanthids.com live sale are looking fantastic. I'm still working on figuring out how to upload pictures. I noticed this week that my calcium and alkalinity have shot through the roof. Alk at 15 and the calcium is over 500. I immediately did a retest with same results, and had my favorite lfs do a test as well. They had the same results. I did a 50% water change and I'll be testing again today to see if it's gone down some. Freaked me out for sure. Especially since I am not dosing anything. Maybe coming from the rocks? I have no clue...

Back