First Reef Tank. 32 Gallons. Need Advice.

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Just joined the forums and am excited to be here.

So I am taking the plunge (pun intended) into Saltwater Aquariums with something simple, but still want to do it right.

For context I have kept several freshwater aquariums in the past, but it's been 10+ years since I had the time and space to keep another. Figure I would go saltwater this time.

For my first time I am going with the Fluval Saltwater Flex 32.5 Gallon. Its a good size, it has a lid for all of the random particulates in my house, and seems to be begginer friendly.

My big questions are what are the best upgrades to buy with this model?

Heater? Skimmer? Additional lighting? Whatever those little side fans are inside the tank that I keep seeing in people's tanks? Lol yeah that's how new I am. Please let me know any and all upgrades I should order with this badboy.

Appreciate any help and if anyone can point me at any good Saltwater Tank 101 threads I would appreciate it.

Been doing a bunch of research, but can never have too much.

Here is a tentative stock list. Let me know your thoughts/changes:

2 Pink skunk Clownfish OR 2 Chromis

1 Firefish Goby

1 Splendid Dottyback OR Orchid Dottyback OR Blackcap Basslet

1 Lawnmower Blenny

1 Aiptasia Eating Filefish

Also any thoughts on begginer corals would be awesome.

Cheers and thanks!

sturgesz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerhead* (spinning fan) you can spend a lot or a little, I bought an mp10 noisy and hated it spent 1/10 price on a Sicce voyager ($32 vs $350) love the thing ultra quiet works great.
Skimmer isn’t a must have but fires help to remove excess nutrients. Heaters are another all work, prob need a 150-200w one thing I’ve learned in this hobby you pay for the name, but the name isn’t always the best

Billabong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, and the fishkeeping experience!
Clownfish-Animation1-OctoMan.gif

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what your goal is for the tank you will have to add additional flow in the tank and possibly get additional lighting. Good water is the foundation to every successful tank. Depending on your water source you might need to purchase an RO/Di unit or purchase RO/DI water from your local shop. The first upgrade i'd suggest would be an auto top off to maintain proper salinity level. The Tunze nano and Tunze 3155 are hobby favorites.

Stocking list.
I'd avoid the chromis as two chromis will almost always turn to just one, so i'd suggest going with the clown pair. Avoid the larger clowns species like the maroons, clarkii, and tomato.

Also avoid the dottybacks as they can become really aggressive. The basslet or even a royal gramma would be great additions.

I don't have any experience with the file fish so hopefully someone else will chime in on that one.

Royal_pudding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intank media baskets are really nice. There are others, that at least in Europe are way cheaper than intank.
I would also upgrade the return pump, the Sicce sdc 3.0 fits real snug and provides more flow, less noise and better control.

There is a group on Facebook solely dedicated to this tank. Lots of good info there, including on upgrades :)

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerhead* (spinning fan) you can spend a lot or a little, I bought an mp10 noisy and hated it spent 1/10 price on a Sicce voyager ($32 vs $350) love the thing ultra quiet works great.
Skimmer isn’t a must have but fires help to remove excess nutrients. Heaters are another all work, prob need a 150-200w one thing I’ve learned in this hobby you pay for the name, but the name isn’t always the
Depending on what your goal is for the tank you will have to add additional flow in the tank and possibly get additional lighting. Good water is the foundation to every successful tank. Depending on your water source you might need to purchase an RO/Di unit or purchase RO/DI water from your local shop. The first upgrade i'd suggest would be an auto top off to maintain proper salinity level. The Tunze nano and Tunze 3155 are hobby favorites.

Stocking list.
I'd avoid the chromis as two chromis will almost always turn to just one, so i'd suggest going with the clown pair. Avoid the larger clowns species like the maroons, clarkii, and tomato.

Also avoid the dottybacks as they can become really aggressive. The basslet or even a royal gramma would be great additions.

I don't have any experience with the file fish so hopefully someone else will chime in on that one.

InTank makes some good upgrades for Fluval tanks.

The intank media baskets are really nice. There are others, that at least in Europe are way cheaper than intank.
I would also upgrade the return pump, the Sicce sdc 3.0 fits real snug and provides more flow, less noise and better control.

There is a group on Facebook solely dedicated to this tank. Lots of good info there, including on upgrades :)

All really good stuff guys, I appreciate the input!

Here is an updated list of what I plan to pick up and some further questions:

Overflow- Tunze nano

Powerhead- Sicce voyager

Media Baskets-intank media baskets

Return Pump-Sicce sdc 3.0

Protein Skimmer-?

Heater 150-200w heater-?

Additional Lighting-?

Others-?

What exactly is a media basket and how does it work?

Here is also an updated stocking list. Basically 4-6 fish, some corals, and clean up crew. Really appreciate any comments, critiques, and suggestions:

2 Pink skunk Clownfish OR 1 Chromis

1 Firefish Goby

1 Blackcap Basslet

1 Lawnmower Blenny OR Diamond Watchmen Goby OR Two Spot Goby OR OR Yellow Coral Goby

1 Aiptasia Eating Filefish OR Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would go with a biocube or nanocube, or a 40 breeder with a Fijicube AiO insert and a glass lid over the Flex 32. The main reason being that a lot of people have issues with the Flex 32 overheating, and because the back chamber of the Flex 32 is really, really poorly designed (it’s kind of just one big chamber without a constant water level, it has a lot of wasted room, and really only has one area, again without a constant water level, to put any accessories including the heater). I like the foot print of the Flex 32 (being wider vs a cube), but the layout of the back chambers just makes it a non-starter for me.

As far your stocking list, if you plan on keeping corals, I would skip the aiptasia eating filefish, anything that eats anemones will eat corals. You may run into aggression with the blackcap basslet and any conspecifics (the fire fish, potentially some of the gobies you listed), but it just depends on the individual, I would definitely add it last.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would go with a biocube or nanocube, or a 40 breeder with a Fijicube AiO insert and a glass lid over the Flex 32. The main reason being that a lot of people have issues with the Flex 32 overheating, and because the back chamber of the Flex 32 is really, really poorly designed (it’s kind of just one big chamber without a constant water level, it has a lot of wasted room, and really only has one area, again without a constant water level, to put any accessories including the heater). I like the foot print of the Flex 32 (being wider vs a cube), but the layout of the back chambers just makes it a non-starter for me.

As far your stocking list, if you plan on keeping corals, I would skip the aiptasia eating filefish, anything that eats anemones will eat corals. You may run into aggression with the blackcap basslet and any conspecifics (the fire fish, potentially some of the gobies you listed), but it just depends on the individual, I would definitely add it last.
Interesting. The footprint was the whole reason I was interested as it's dimensions just seemed like it gave me more floor room and surface area to work with.

Hearing you loud and clear on the Filefish. I will take it off the list and definitely be adding the Basslet last once the tank is very well established and some the hardier (and cheaper) species have settled into their territories.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. The footprint was the whole reason I was interested as it's dimensions just seemed like it gave me more floor room and surface area to work with.

Hearing you loud and clear on the Filefish. I will take it off the list and definitely be adding the Basslet last once the tank is very well established and some the hardier (and cheaper) species have settled into their territories.
Yeah, I totally agree that the flex has a better footprint compared to other AiO of that size. I would really suggest looking into a 40 breeder (or even a 29/30 gallon) with a Fijicube insert (it you don’t want to bother with HOB filtration). You can put the insert on one side or on the back wall. You’d have to buy lighting, but the lighting on the Flex isn’t that great anyway. Anyway, just something to look into/think about.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I totally agree that the flex has a better footprint compared to other AiO of that size. I would really suggest looking into a 40 breeder (or even a 29/30 gallon) with a Fijicube insert (it you don’t want to bother with HOB filtration). You can put the insert on one side or on the back wall. You’d have to buy lighting, but the lighting on the Flex isn’t that great anyway. Anyway, just something to look into/think about.

This is where it starts to get complicated for me.

Water chemistry I get, fish biology and care I understand, just the sheer mechanics and engineering of a saltwater tank I don't understand.

How does that even work? Lol I buy a 40 gallon breeder tank and put one of those inserts on the back and it's ready to go? It acts like a hang on back freshwater filtration system? I have to install and add a bunch of other stuff into it? On it? In what order and how? Just so lost when it comes to that part of the hobby.

For my first tank, the more simple the better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see how it attaches to the inside now. But then I have to go buy a bunch of stuff to put inside of it? What goes inside of that and how does it fit together? How is it actually filtering or pumping any water?

Please talk to me like your explaining a saltwater tank to a person from another planet lol

Still thinking the Flex 32 with some upgrades is more my speed at this point until I figure this whole saltwater tank thing out or find a good tutorial.

Unless it's far more simple and I am just grossly over thinking this.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see how it attaches to the inside now. But then I have to go buy a bunch of stuff to put inside of it? What goes inside of that and how does it fit together? How is it actually filtering or pumping any water?

Please talk to me like your explaining a saltwater tank to a person from another planet lol

Still thinking the Flex 32 with some upgrades is more my speed at this point until I figure this whole saltwater tank thing out or find a good tutorial.

Unless it's far more simple and I am just grossly over thinking this.
It’s basically the exact same thing as what’s in the Flex or a biocube. Its a box that you add to the tank that
3A3248C3-0369-46DF-8A43-70AAC59718C4.jpeg
creates an in-tank sump. It’s has an over flow, where water from the tank flows into the chamber (powered by gravity), and then gravity causes the water to flow over and under several baffles that create different chambers that have a constant water level where you can put filter media, a heater, skimmer, etc., and then these overflow into a return chamber that doesn’t have a constant water level (this is where any evaporation will be seen, everywhere else, the other filter chambers and the display will always have a constant water level). In the return chamber you have a return pump that pumps water back into the display (which then overflows back into the back chambers/filter and is a constant cycle).
Here is a diagram of the back chambers of the Nanocube (which IMO has the best back chamber design of all the AIOs). I realize it’s kind of complicated, but hopefully it will make it make more sense.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s basically the exact same thing as what’s in the Flex or a biocube. Its a box that you add to the tank that
3A3248C3-0369-46DF-8A43-70AAC59718C4.jpeg
creates an in-tank sump. It’s has an over flow, where water from the tank flows into the chamber (powered by gravity), and then gravity causes the water to flow over and under several baffles that create different chambers that have a constant water level where you can put filter media, a heater, skimmer, etc., and then these overflow into a return chamber that doesn’t have a constant water level (this is where any evaporation will be seen, everywhere else, the other filter chambers and the display will always have a constant water level). In the return chamber you have a return pump that pumps water back into the display (which then overflows back into the back chambers/filter and is a constant cycle).
Here is a diagram of the back chambers of the Nanocube (which IMO has the best back chamber design of all the AIOs). I realize it’s kind of complicated, but hopefully it will make it make more sense.
Wow that is a huge help. Actually quite simple. So with the Fuji insert you posted I would need to install the filters, pumps, heaters, skimmers, ect? Its essentially just the in tank chambered box?

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based on your input and I decided to go with the biocube. What upgrades would you recommend ordering with it? I also really like your 40 gallon breeder idea, but wouldn't even begin to know what needs to go into the insert.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the 32.5 flex for a few years and did not experience issues with water level, it seems the water level dropped in only the center chamber of the overflow box. This actually was really useful for ATO and water level management in my opinion.

I did see others report issues with heat, Kraken lids makes a nice cover for the flex that helps with this issue. While I might disagree about those two points, I would also recommend skipping the flex 32.5. The front curved glass collects fine particles due to the lower curve area being like a shelf, and also made viewing difficult, as any angle other than straight in looks distorted due to the curve. The overall dimensions were just too constricting for my personal preferences as well. With the curve front and AIO back in the center of the tank feels extremely tight.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the 32.5 flex for a few years and did not experience issues with water level, it seems the water level dropped in only the center chamber of the overflow box. This actually was really useful for ATO and water level management in my opinion.

I did see others report issues with heat, Kraken lids makes a nice cover for the flex that helps with this issue. While I might disagree about those two points, I would also recommend skipping the flex 32.5. The front curved glass collects fine particles due to the lower curve area being like a shelf, and also made viewing difficult, as any angle other than straight in looks distorted due to the curve. The overall dimensions were just too constricting for my personal preferences as well. With the curve front and AIO back in the center of the tank feels extremely tight.
Well that is two suggestions now drifting me away from the Flex and more toward the Cube.

Once again do you have any suggestions on upgrades for the Biocube? Or the must have parts to put in the DIY 40 gallon breeder with the Fuji intank insert?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is two suggestions now drifting me away from the Flex and more toward the Cube.

Once again do you have any suggestions on upgrades for the Biocube? Or the mist have parts to put in the DIY 40 gallon breeder with the Fuji intank insert?
Since I went straight from the flex 32.5 to a red sea reefer 250, I don't have any good advice for you on the Biocube unfortunately. Others gave some great advice for the flex though that I fully agree with, the inTank media baskets, kraken lids, some sort of fan, an additional light (or better yet a non-fluval branded light). I know just from browsing that inTank makes products for Biocube as well, I would assume a lot of the advice so far still could apply for Biocubes

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I went straight from the flex 32.5 to a red sea reefer 250, I don't have any good advice for you on the Biocube unfortunately. Others gave some great advice for the flex though that I fully agree with, the inTank media baskets, kraken lids, some sort of fan, an additional light (or better yet a non-fluval branded light). I know just from browsing that inTank makes products for Biocube as well, I would assume a lot of the advice so far still could apply for Biocubes
I eyeballed the Red Sea Reefer a lot too, until I started to feel overwhelmed by all the options for what needed to go in it.

So seems like it is going to be a Biocube.

Current upgrades to go with it:

Overflow- Tunze nano

Powerhead- Sicce voyager

Media Baskets-intank media baskets

Return Pump-Sicce sdc 3.0

Protein Skimmer-?

Heater 150-200w heater-?

Additional Lighting-?

Others-?

And updated stocking list:

2 Pink skunk Clownfish OR 1 Chromis

1 Firefish Goby

1 Blackcap Basslet

1 Lawnmower Blenny OR Diamond Watchmen Goby OR Yellow Coral Goby

1 Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse

Appreciate any help and suggestions.

Great stuff so far

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back