first reef tank 47 gal start up

the new reef kid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am finally putting saltwater into my tank to cycle to rock i am doing a tonga branch aquascape in a column tank

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep ya gotta start somewhere and have all seen cloudy tanks!

OP
OP
T

the new reef kid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEre you go

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger issue I see { just my opinion 4th picture} is cleaning the tank , before live stock I would try to make sure you have enough clearance between rock and glass to allow ease of cleaning. rock looks pretty close in pic. I had one that I stacked pretty full of rock and always had a bad looking spot in it later because I couldn't get in there to clean one section of the side glass with out hitting the corals . if you can get a sponge or brush between the rock and glass now, than it will be good. Hey column tanks are awesome to look out, looks like this is going to be a good build.

OP
OP
T

the new reef kid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger issue I see { just my opinion 4th picture} is cleaning the tank , before live stock I would try to make sure you have enough clearance between rock and glass to allow ease of cleaning. rock looks pretty close in pic. I had one that I stacked pretty full of rock and always had a bad looking spot in it later because I couldn't get in there to clean one section of the side glass with out hitting the corals . if you can get a sponge or brush between the rock and glass now, than it will be good. Hey column tanks are awesome to look out, looks like this is going to be a good build.

Thanks for the advice I was told about this and I moved the rocks around a little and the picture was after I just poured in salt it's pretty clean right now I made the tonga branch column up a good few inches to clear up space to clean the glass

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one I had had a rock anemone in it and two false percula clowns, all from a tank I bought from someone for the equipment, had it for several years, used it to put over flow extras or corals that didn't look good in the display seemed to really do well in the column tank, I think it was either a 45 or a fifty. some one came by the house and had a fit over it, made me a offer and and I took it. kinda miss it, but I still have several other tanks to keep me busy. I did try other fish in there but they didn't seem to do well, a six line wrasse , a couple of damsels, etc. mostly things no one wanted, or that were slightly aggressive, I transferred them to my frag tank, and they have been very happy there. The funny thing about a column tank, less is more. a column tank can take a couple of overgrown ratty frags, and make them look like specimens . but if they are overloaded with a lot of little stuff, they seem to look cluttered in time. just my opinion.

OP
OP
T

the new reef kid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one I had had a rock anemone in it and two false percula clowns, all from a tank I bought from someone for the equipment, had it for several years, used it to put over flow extras or corals that didn't look good in the display seemed to really do well in the column tank, I think it was either a 45 or a fifty. some one came by the house and had a fit over it, made me a offer and and I took it. kinda miss it, but I still have several other tanks to keep me busy. I did try other fish in there but they didn't seem to do well, a six line wrasse , a couple of damsels, etc. mostly things no one wanted, or that were slightly aggressive, I transferred them to my frag tank, and they have been very happy there. The funny thing about a column tank, less is more. a column tank can take a couple of overgrown ratty frags, and make them look like specimens . but if they are overloaded with a lot of little stuff, they seem to look cluttered in time. just my opinion.

Wow thanks for the advice your the first reefer I have heard from that used a column tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back