First reef tank - 75 gallon

Meltdown1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife asked if I wanted to get a fish tank a few months back, thinking I wouldn't say yes. She was wrong! I hadn't had a a tank in about 7 or 8 years - got rid of mine when I moved away for law school and hadn't gotten once since. I'd only had freshwater tanks before but knew I wanted to do a saltwater tank as soon as she brought it up.

We've now got a 60 gallon freshwater tank running as well as a couple 3-5 gallon tanks with bettas. I was able to find a 75 gallon Marineland tank from a local reefing Facebook group for a good price and I got a 40 gallon breeder from my father-in-law to convert to a sump. I had the tank drilled at an LFS and purchased an Eshoppes Eclipse M overflow.
20200614_175754.jpg

I built the stand yesterday with my brother's help and started staining it today - though I ran out of stain before finishing so I will have to get more to finish.
20200613_154924.jpg

20200614_164253.jpg

I've got 2 AI Hydra 26's I bought from the LFS that were previously being used on their display tanks as well as the hanging kit and I've got IceCap 2k Gyres arriving this week as well as a Sicce Syncra 3.0 return pump. I got a Simplicity 120 DC skimmer that had never been used (same Facebook group) as he bought it and it had a bad pump so he had to send the pump in to the manufacturer for replacement and bought a new skimmer while waiting on it.

I'm getting very excited! I just need to get some baffles for the sump tank and then some PVC to plumb it all then I'll be ready for rock and sand!

A photo of my 60 gallon freshwater planted tank.
20200614_180920.jpg

OP
OP
Meltdown1313

Meltdown1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome stand and beautiful tank! When are you planning a reef build :)
I'm hoping we can put everything together this week and get it ready for sand and rock next weekend.

I will have to put some sides and doors on the front of the stand in the near future to keep the toddlers out of the sump, but I'm really wanting to get water in the tanks soon now that I'm so close to having everything!

OP
OP
Meltdown1313

Meltdown1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Yesterday we went to the LFSto get some water to get ready to fill the tank. I got some rock and sand from someone local after he broke down his system. He said his system crashed after about 8 years from kid throwing a bolt into his sump!

Bought a couple 45 gallon sterilize tubes to be able to haul the water. Turns out the first one I started filling had a crack in the bottom I missed.
20200627_164726.jpg

Managed to save about 20 gallons that didn't leak out.

To make it better, this LFS is moving locations in the next month and they just sent their shop vac to the new store.On the plus side, after about an hour in the sun and 90°+ day with a shop vac and carpet cleaner the trunk of our van is now very clean!

We are going to try getting the water today, but I think I may just use my four 5 gallon buckets and make a few trips. Definitely thinking I want to get an RO/DI system sooner than later now

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! Welcome to R2R! I also have a 75g tank and love that thing. Good thing you got it drilled... I didn’t and looking back that was a dumb mistake lol but looking forward a good excuse to upgrade hahah

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well on your way

welcome38.jpg

OP
OP
Meltdown1313

Meltdown1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200628_144132.jpg

Laying out the rock, trying to decide how I like it. May need to get some more, but think I will start getting the water here shortly.

Water down in the sump is what I managed to save, along with about a quarter inch of water in the display tank

Stand is mostly done, at least enough to use it. I've got to cut doors and stain/mount them as well as sides to keep the toddler out of the sump, but that won't be difficult and can wait for next week when I'm off work!

OP
OP
Meltdown1313

Meltdown1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you know it... get the tank all set up and filled, then I noticed the return section of my sump was low and after a day or 2 I noticed a small bit of water on the stand. Can't find any source for the water so I'm pretty sure i have a slow leak on the bottom of the tank. Time to tear it all down and start looking...
20200701_195410.jpg

Here's what it looked like before I started draining it

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, the tank,or the sump tank leaking?

OP
OP
Meltdown1313

Meltdown1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, the tank,or the sump tank leaking?

Definitely the tank, got it drained and there is a ring of water all around the edges of the bottom rim when I tilted it and we looked under.

I'm thinking the leak is on the left side (when facing the tank) since there seemed to be more water there, but it's not as much water as I would have thought, given the return section was down a couple gallons and I didn't find water on the floor.

Is there a best way to find it or am i better off just redoing all of the bottom caulking?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
where are you located,i have a couple of 75's drilled high? i hate to say not worth resealing,you will never rest easy,sorry jmo,never trust a reseal,hope your close:(

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that"s a little too far,i'm sorry ,i would recommend new tank,best wishes,maybe someone closer will chime in,following :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back