First reef tank..multiple questions

W28LF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm week into my first reef tank, 45 Gallon, tidal 110 filter, wave pump pushing 1050gph, and a low profile reef light from Nicrew classic led marine 30.

I have two clownfish, mostly dry rock and two pieces of live rock inside. I don't plan on adding anything else until signs of stability.

Question#1. I've been dosing microbactor7 every other day and I haven't seen anything growing. Is there something im not doing?

Question#2. Do i need more flow in my tank or is 1050 gph enough for a 45gal?

Question#3. The light that I have has white, green and mostly blue LEDs, but doesn't have any UV leds. Should I rig up a individual strip of leds or is it fine the way it is?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) it will take weeks before you see signs of diatoms and alage

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy and welcome
howdy.gif

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm week into my first reef tank, 45 Gallon, tidal 110 filter, wave pump pushing 1050gph, and a low profile reef light from Nicrew classic led marine 30.

I have two clownfish, mostly dry rock and two pieces of live rock inside. I don't plan on adding anything else until signs of stability.

Question#1. I've been dosing microbactor7 every other day and I haven't seen anything growing. Is there something im not doing?

Question#2. Do i need more flow in my tank or is 1050 gph enough for a 45gal?

Question#3. The light that I have has white, green and mostly blue LEDs, but doesn't have any UV leds. Should I rig up a individual strip of leds or is it fine the way it is?
Welcome w28lf,
1. You wont see the bacteria growing, except thru test results
2. Thats plenty of flow
3. Start with that, some picky corals might argue in a year or so.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
1st lesson you have to learn. Be patient. Nothing good happen overnight with reefing
You need to read up about fish in cycling. Your tank still need to fully cycled even if you are using bottled bacteria.
Buy a test kit, redsea or salifert. Not API. Test everyday until the ammonia is 0. Then keep testing nitrate, alk, cal, phosphate weekly.
For now, that wavepump is good. I would think thats AC pump?
Not sure how that light will be for corals. You might be able to grow softies with it. But you most likely want better light for LPS or SPS.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back