First Reef Tank

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not new to saltwater tanks, but purchased my first Reef tank. I've been reading all I can as far as equipment and bought the following:

Seapora 75 Gallon pre-drilled corner overflow tank
IceCap 24 sump
IceCap ATO
Octo 110S classic skimmer
Jebao DCQ 600 pump
Hygger titanium digitally controlled heater
E-flux dual 1050GPH wavemakers
Coralife 6X Twist 18W UV Sterilizer
2 Nicrew 100W Hyperreef lighting

I'm flipping from a simple 110 G tank with a fluval canister and $50 lighting to my new tank. I have most of it plumbed out. Just waiting for a DC pump for my UV (closed loop). Is it OK for me to put my present live rock in 1.023 saltwater heated to 77 with a powerhead in a tub with no light to keep bacteria alive? And shift my mushroom corals, polyps, anemones sea star, urchin to a 30 gallon set-up with my old lighting with the live rock the corals are on? One last question (for now) can you clean live rock and some green star polyps with hydrogen peroxide or will this kill all the bacteria on the live rock that it is on? Please help!! Thank you in advance!!!!

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your temporary setup plan seems fine to me.

For cleaning the rock, are you just looking to remove hair algae from active rock, etc? For that I'll just use a stiff bristle brush in old tank water and good to go.

Is the GSP just  on the rock you want to clean? (vs cleaning the GSP..)

OP
OP
Keywest99

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is on sand bed, but I have some on live rock that is choking it out. I've been manually pulling it, and some live rock with no coral I scrubbed with a soft toothbrush before placing it in a saltwater heated tub. Inverts and corals and a couple fish are still in my 110 but hope to transfer to a 30 gallon aquarium in a couple days to make the transfer. I was also going to use maybe 10% of my old live sand to seed help seed my new live sand after gently washing it to remove detritus. The algae is green hair algae

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back