First reef tank - the plan.

firstworldpotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first post (outside of the introduction post) here. I'm in the early stages of planning my first reef tank. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and I was, admittedly, a little intimidated at the start. However, I've level-set a few general goals based on some advice from a few of the YouTube video series and can say I'm now confident enough to move forward. Instead of expecting perfection for my first tank, I want to maximize the chances of success for a healthy ecosystem and experience and learn from the inevitable mistakes that I'll make.

I'm a patient guy and don't want to rush anything. I don't plan on introducing any fish until the initial tank cycle has been completed for a couple of weeks and coral for until at least 4 to 6 weeks after that. I'd like to get all of the water parameters established and have flourishing beneficial bacteria colonies before adding anything else.

The lag time is also intended to space out purchasing equipment so I don't break the bank all up front. I realize that this can be an expensive hobby (I've had my share of them over the years). My first purchases will be the tank and the materials needed for a DIY stand (built a DIY stand for my 29g freshwater tank and was surprised how easy and solid it turned out). For the equipment, here are my thoughts:

Tank - I'm 99% settled on a 60g breeder. Knowing myself and having gone through the same thing with a few freshwater aquariums, it's likely this will be a 2-3 year tank that will eventually get replaced by something larger. My first tank is going to be something I can use as a sump when I get the itch to go bigger.

Lights - I haven't really settled on anything specific here, but I mention them to ask when the right time to actually buy lights would be. One of the YouTube videos said that you don't have to worry about lighting while your tank is cycling. So I'm not expecting to actually need lights until I add fish......or even coral? Let me know if that thinking is wrong.

Rock - Here I could use some advice as well between dry rock and live rock. Again, I'm patient and don't mind getting dry rock conditioned and established, even if it pushes back the timeline to add fish/coral. However, I've heard dry rock is harder to find these days than live rock?

Filter - I've really considered putting a DIY sump together, but I am currently settled on a HOB option. I just want something that will do the job and don't want to overwhelm myself with stuff like drilling a tank or plumbing a sump. I do like the idea of a sump, but that is going to be something to grow into.

Protein Skimmer - I forget the name of it, but I saw a hang on rim protein skimmer that seems like it will be a good option based on the same reasoning as the filter based on having a place for it to live and being simple but effective. Again, it sounds like I won't need to worry about a protein skimmer until closer to when I'm ready to add coral?

Substrate - I've seen some debate on sand vs bare-bottom. It sounds like the sand option is going require more maintenance to keep clean, but will give me a better chance at over-all success.

Outside of some decision points on the above items, the rest seems pretty straight forward to me. Test kits, heater, power heads, an RO/DI filtration system, and bacteria starters seem like some pretty basic necessities. Let me know if I've missed anything major, have some misconceptions in my thought process, or have some suggestions for my first setup (whether absolutely essential or something optional but strongly suggested). Thanks in advance!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first post (outside of the introduction post) here. I'm in the early stages of planning my first reef tank. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and I was, admittedly, a little intimidated at the start. However, I've level-set a few general goals based on some advice from a few of the YouTube video series and can say I'm now confident enough to move forward. Instead of expecting perfection for my first tank, I want to maximize the chances of success for a healthy ecosystem and experience and learn from the inevitable mistakes that I'll make.

I'm a patient guy and don't want to rush anything. I don't plan on introducing any fish until the initial tank cycle has been completed for a couple of weeks and coral for until at least 4 to 6 weeks after that. I'd like to get all of the water parameters established and have flourishing beneficial bacteria colonies before adding anything else.

The lag time is also intended to space out purchasing equipment so I don't break the bank all up front. I realize that this can be an expensive hobby (I've had my share of them over the years). My first purchases will be the tank and the materials needed for a DIY stand (built a DIY stand for my 29g freshwater tank and was surprised how easy and solid it turned out). For the equipment, here are my thoughts:

Tank - I'm 99% settled on a 60g breeder. Knowing myself and having gone through the same thing with a few freshwater aquariums, it's likely this will be a 2-3 year tank that will eventually get replaced by something larger. My first tank is going to be something I can use as a sump when I get the itch to go bigger.

Lights - I haven't really settled on anything specific here, but I mention them to ask when the right time to actually buy lights would be. One of the YouTube videos said that you don't have to worry about lighting while your tank is cycling. So I'm not expecting to actually need lights until I add fish......or even coral? Let me know if that thinking is wrong.

Rock - Here I could use some advice as well between dry rock and live rock. Again, I'm patient and don't mind getting dry rock conditioned and established, even if it pushes back the timeline to add fish/coral. However, I've heard dry rock is harder to find these days than live rock?

Filter - I've really considered putting a DIY sump together, but I am currently settled on a HOB option. I just want something that will do the job and don't want to overwhelm myself with stuff like drilling a tank or plumbing a sump. I do like the idea of a sump, but that is going to be something to grow into.

Protein Skimmer - I forget the name of it, but I saw a hang on rim protein skimmer that seems like it will be a good option based on the same reasoning as the filter based on having a place for it to live and being simple but effective. Again, it sounds like I won't need to worry about a protein skimmer until closer to when I'm ready to add coral?

Substrate - I've seen some debate on sand vs bare-bottom. It sounds like the sand option is going require more maintenance to keep clean, but will give me a better chance at over-all success.

Outside of some decision points on the above items, the rest seems pretty straight forward to me. Test kits, heater, power heads, an RO/DI filtration system, and bacteria starters seem like some pretty basic necessities. Let me know if I've missed anything major, have some misconceptions in my thought process, or have some suggestions for my first setup (whether absolutely essential or something optional but strongly suggested). Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you are doing your homework.

Did you decide against a sump?

OP
OP
F

firstworldpotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are doing your homework.

Did you decide against a sump?

Yeah, no sump to start. I fully expect to eventually have one, but I'd like to get everything established and go with a sump when/if I decide to upgrade after a year or two.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no sump to start. I fully expect to eventually have one, but I'd like to get everything established and go with a sump when/if I decide to upgrade after a year or two.
There is a good chance you will want one. I find having all equipment and connections in the sump makes the display tank so much more attractive.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The equipment you choose should be based on the fish you want to keep. I would suggest deciding which fish you want, and then start building your system.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are probably annoyed that I keep posting this everywhere, but Coral Vue has all the Maxspect lights on clearance in their Outlet Store. Might be worth a look. Great deals to be had.

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup is very similar to mine, which I started as a beginner al little over a year ago. A 55g with a HOB filter which I still have. I quickly added a Tunze in tank skimmer, which I would highly recommend. The only downside to that one is I have to empty it about every other day, sometimes more often. I cycled about a month before adding fish and inverts, and waited about 6 months on corals. It has gone fairly well overall, have lost a few fish along the way, but most have done well. The corals have generally done pretty good, although I have yet to see significant growth in most of them, but they seem to be maintaining well for the most part. Went through the uglies with hair algae and cyano, but was able to get both under control. Have never had any other pest troubles or infestations despite never quarantining anything. I did weekly 10% water changes for the first year without fail, and now have reduced it to every other week. Same with testing. I use distilled water rather than RODI and have had no issues with that. I also use Imagitarium real ocean water from Petco, although that's kind of a pricey way to go, but it's very convenient. I watched tons of videos starting up to know how to navigate this hobby, and that was very helpful. You seem to be on a similar track, you should be just fine if you keep at it IMO. Enjoy the journey and best of luck.

OP
OP
F

firstworldpotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. For the fish, sturdiness and utility (beginner friendly) is what I'm going for. It really sounds like Clownfish are a good go-to, along with Yellow Tangs. The same will go for the coral. Sturdiness and beginner friendly.

OP
OP
F

firstworldpotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup is very similar to mine, which I started as a beginner al little over a year ago. A 55g with a HOB filter which I still have. I quickly added a Tunze in tank skimmer, which I would highly recommend. The only downside to that one is I have to empty it about every other day, sometimes more often. I cycled about a month before adding fish and inverts, and waited about 6 months on corals. It has gone fairly well overall, have lost a few fish along the way, but most have done well. The corals have generally done pretty good, although I have yet to see significant growth in most of them, but they seem to be maintaining well for the most part. Went through the uglies with hair algae and cyano, but was able to get both under control. Have never had any other pest troubles or infestations despite never quarantining anything. I did weekly 10% water changes for the first year without fail, and now have reduced it to every other week. Same with testing. I use distilled water rather than RODI and have had no issues with that. I also use Imagitarium real ocean water from Petco, although that's kind of a pricey way to go, but it's very convenient. I watched tons of videos starting up to know how to navigate this hobby, and that was very helpful. You seem to be on a similar track, you should be just fine if you keep at it IMO. Enjoy the journey and best of luck.
10% a week was my water change plan as well. When you went to biweekly, did you stay with 10%, or did you increase the volume?

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on your way! In addition to this forum, I always suggest the BRS videos on Youtube. 52 weeks of reefing to start. Good luck, and happy reefing!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the live rock... although it's more expensive, it's well worth it for the bacterial and other biodiversity. It's true you can definitely have a successful and amazing tank with dry rock but ime live rock is the way to go and the "ugly stage" will even be minimized...there are many benefits actually

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference would be for live rock. It was fun (20 years ago) to see all of the live things that came with it. I also liked the variation of the rock.

My current tank is dry rock. Still good, just a little less exciting and more bland.

I have never had a bare bottom tank. In my current tank I stopped cleaning the sand once I got a tiger conch.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference would be for live rock. It was fun (20 years ago) to see all of the live things that came with it. I also liked the variation of the rock.

My current tank is dry rock. Still good, just a little less exciting and more bland.

I have never had a bare bottom tank. In my current tank I stopped cleaning the sand once I got a tiger conch.
I feel like live rock gets such a bad rep these days because of the FEW bad hitchhikers (which are pretty rare according to the many comments on a couple of my previous threads)...even with a few less desirable hitchhikers the benefits far outweigh the risks imo

OP
OP
F

firstworldpotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on your way! In addition to this forum, I always suggest the BRS videos on Youtube. 52 weeks of reefing to start. Good luck, and happy reefing!
Oh yeah, the BRS videos have been a great source of information. They have been one of my three go-to channels. I binged the 5-minute series, but will definitely queue the 52 weeks of reefing throughout this month.

OP
OP
F

firstworldpotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be flexing from the 60 gallon breeder purchase. Looks like my local Petco is running 50% off on select tanks (60 breeder excluded) and I can get a 75 gallon tank for $112 if I buy online and pick up in-store. More capacity with more water column to work with for $80 less seems like a no brainer?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back