Let there be light!!
The light coverage is perfect ! So loving that rockscape. Really
Nice job!

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a battery backup! Living in the PNW we have a lot of wind storms in the fall/winter months and, as a result, power outages. This will keep the return pump running for about a day.
First, beautiful setup! Makes me want a tank that's a little larger.

B. It's great that you have a backup. For reals, but there are some things to consider when using that battery. It's just an 18Ah lead acid cell inside. That's $40 or less from Amazon. If you got it new, you have some time, but if it's used, I'd suggest running the return to see how long it actually lasts. But the problem with that test is that discharging the lead acid battery below 50% damages the battery. What I'd suggest is that you test the runtime now, then again in one year. In a year, it will be less. By three years, it will be at 50% or less capacity.

III. Since you bought it once, I'll just say that you shouldn't buy it again. The alternative mentioned by @mizukage is great. Things to look for regardless of brand is passthrough AC (like a UPS) and a LiFePO4 (LFP) battery. Don't buy versions with lithium batteries. The lifespan is less and there's a fire risk. LFP/LiFePO4 only. Runtime...a 24V 30W return pump running full blast will last 6.7 hours on the EcoFlow River 2. That's 201Wh, and I bought one from eBay for $109 shipped. The River 2 Pro, the larger version of the small River 2, ran the same pump in the same configuration for 23.6 hours. The Pro is more expensive, but whatever...so are the critters you'll keep. I got the Pro for $279 as an eBay refurb. Assuming a 10-year LFP service life, that's $27.90/year. The ETM battery is $72/year for its 3-year service life.

Connecting pumps to the River 2 is easy. You can use the AC outlets, but you'll get 30% less runtime. I tested. But on a longer runtime note, you can use the DC outlet with some simple DIY. I've tested that, too. Check here for an active Amazon list of goodies - https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3OHRYE5UMEO0N?ref_=wl_share

You can expect 200-216Wh from your new Ecotech battery. Divide that by the actual running wattage of your return pump, and you'll get the estimated hours of runtime.

As for a generator, one is a must. Beyond whole home solar and big batteries, I see no reef tank-keeping scenario that doesn't include a generator. It's when not if.

Last bit of advice...install that EB832 someplace other than under the tank.

None of the above includes sponsored stuff. I paid for my Ecotech and EcoFlow batteries.

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, beautiful setup! Makes me want a tank that's a little larger.

B. It's great that you have a backup. For reals, but there are some things to consider when using that battery. It's just an 18Ah lead acid cell inside. That's $40 or less from Amazon. If you got it new, you have some time, but if it's used, I'd suggest running the return to see how long it actually lasts. But the problem with that test is that discharging the lead acid battery below 50% damages the battery. What I'd suggest is that you test the runtime now, then again in one year. In a year, it will be less. By three years, it will be at 50% or less capacity.

III. Since you bought it once, I'll just say that you shouldn't buy it again. The alternative mentioned by @mizukage is great. Things to look for regardless of brand is passthrough AC (like a UPS) and a LiFePO4 (LFP) battery. Don't buy versions with lithium batteries. The lifespan is less and there's a fire risk. LFP/LiFePO4 only. Runtime...a 24V 30W return pump running full blast will last 6.7 hours on the EcoFlow River 2. That's 201Wh, and I bought one from eBay for $109 shipped. The River 2 Pro, the larger version of the small River 2, ran the same pump in the same configuration for 23.6 hours. The Pro is more expensive, but whatever...so are the critters you'll keep. I got the Pro for $279 as an eBay refurb. Assuming a 10-year LFP service life, that's $27.90/year. The ETM battery is $72/year for its 3-year service life.

Connecting pumps to the River 2 is easy. You can use the AC outlets, but you'll get 30% less runtime. I tested. But on a longer runtime note, you can use the DC outlet with some simple DIY. I've tested that, too. Check here for an active Amazon list of goodies - https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3OHRYE5UMEO0N?ref_=wl_share

You can expect 200-216Wh from your new Ecotech battery. Divide that by the actual running wattage of your return pump, and you'll get the estimated hours of runtime.

As for a generator, one is a must. Beyond whole home solar and big batteries, I see no reef tank-keeping scenario that doesn't include a generator. It's when not if.

Last bit of advice...install that EB832 someplace other than under the tank.

None of the above includes sponsored stuff. I paid for my Ecotech and EcoFlow batteries.
Thank you so much! This is fantastic advice. I didn't realize that I wouldn’t get more than 6 hours of run time with the EcoTech battery. I’m definitely going to look into this! I will be definitely be investing in a generator soon as well. I want to ensure that my tank stays safe when there is a power outage.

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 9 of cycle;

Ammonia is at 0ppm (yay!) and Nitrite is at 5ppm. I dosed with ammonium chloride again this morning after testing.

The lights are all set up (though I’ve yet to fiddle with the intensity and temperatures much). I have everything in the tank now!

All that’s left is setting up my quarantine tank, which I have everything for coming in the mail. I have a 15 gallon freshwater tank that I’ll be upgrading to a 20 gallon. Then, I’ll use the 15 gallon as my quarantine tank once I thoroughly clean it.

It seems like the timing will work out well and I’ll probably be able to add my first fish next weekend! Now it’s time to continue (which never really stopped) my livestock planning. Though I still need to learn the Neptune Apex programming. Lots to learn and lots to do still, but that’s part of this whole hobby and I don’t think I’ll ever stop learning.

mizukage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 9 of cycle;

Ammonia is at 0ppm (yay!) and Nitrite is at 5ppm. I dosed with ammonium chloride again this morning after testing.

The lights are all set up (though I’ve yet to fiddle with the intensity and temperatures much). I have everything in the tank now!

All that’s left is setting up my quarantine tank, which I have everything for coming in the mail. I have a 15 gallon freshwater tank that I’ll be upgrading to a 20 gallon. Then, I’ll use the 15 gallon as my quarantine tank once I thoroughly clean it.

It seems like the timing will work out well and I’ll probably be able to add my first fish next weekend! Now it’s time to continue (which never really stopped) my livestock planning. Though I still need to learn the Neptune Apex programming. Lots to learn and lots to do still, but that’s part of this whole hobby and I don’t think I’ll ever stop learning.
exciting! what fishies are you thinking?

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! This is fantastic advice. I didn't realize that I wouldn’t get more than 6 hours of run time with the EcoTech battery. I’m definitely going to look into this! I will be definitely be investing in a generator soon as well. I want to ensure that my tank stays safe when there is a power outage.
I'll clarify that I got 6.7 hours of runtime with the EcoFlow with a return pump pulling 30W. Your pump may pull less, and you may get what Ecotech projects. Regardless, you won't know unless you test and testing (draining below 50%) damages the Ecotech's lead acid battery.

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll clarify that I got 6.7 hours of runtime with the EcoFlow with a return pump pulling 30W. Your pump may pull less, and you may get what Ecotech projects. Regardless, you won't know unless you test and testing (draining below 50%) damages the Ecotech's lead acid battery.
On my Neptune it says that it’s pulling 32W. To clarify, should I test it even though it’s new? To test it would I just turn the outlet off?

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exciting! what fishies are you thinking?
I’m going to start with a pair of clownfish. It would be nice to get a pair of “designer” clownfish that look really cool. I’m also very partial to tangs. I also really like wrasses, but I still need to fine tune my list of favorite fish and do research and figure out what would work together. An eel would be cool too, not sure if I can do that though.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my Neptune it says that it’s pulling 32W. To clarify, should I test it even though it’s new? To test it would I just turn the outlet off?
Assuming it's a Vectra and you have the 12 to 36V boost converter from Ecotech? When running off of battery, it will run at a reduced speed. Knowing how long it runs on battery will allow you to calculate the Wh. From the Wh, you can calculate the Ah. Then when you do the test again in a year, you'll be able to compare values.

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 13 of the tanks cycle!

Ammonia is still 0ppm. Nitrite finally went down from 5ppm to 2ppm. Nitrate is at 20ppm.

I dosed to tank with 16oz purple coralline algae and 16oz pink coralline algae today.

I’m about to order my first fish and invertebrates. I’ll be ordering from Dr. Reef. I’m going to get a bonded pair of Black Ice clownfish.

As far as invertebrates go, this is what I’m thinking:

- 1 Tuxedo urchin
- 10 Cerith snails
- 10 Nassarius snails
- 10 Nerite snails
- 10 Scarlet Reef hermit crabs
- 25 hermit crabs
- 1 anemone crab

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5830.jpeg

Cycle is still in progress and I’m still waiting on the clownfish and inverts I ordered.

I did my first water change a few days ago! 30 gallon water change. It was a pain to start the siphon, but once I did it was pretty straight forward.
Are you siphoning from the display or the sump? Can always just get a small pump and pump it out vs siphon.

paintingsbyreb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5572.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg

Huzzah! The tank is finally on the stand (90lb German Shepherd to scale).

We hired professional movers to put it on, which I’m very happy that I did that. Well worth the money. It took 4 guys and even then it was a challenge.
Lol I think my GSD thinks the tank steals attention from him, he pouts when I work on it lol

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5871.jpeg

IMG_5870.jpeg

IMG_5869.jpeg

The first signs of life in my tank! It’s getting ugly! Yay! Nitrites are finally at 0ppm, too.

Hopefully my clownfish and invertebrates ship this week. I think I’m ready for fish now! I’ll do another water change right before they get here and then once they’re here do a drip acclimation.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5871.jpeg

IMG_5870.jpeg

IMG_5869.jpeg

The first signs of life in my tank! It’s getting ugly! Yay! Nitrites are finally at 0ppm, too.

Hopefully my clownfish and invertebrates ship this week. I think I’m ready for fish now! I’ll do another water change right before they get here and then once they’re here do a drip acclimation.
Can't wait to see the clowns and inverts in there!

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back