First Reef Tank

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What’s your favorite LFS around here?
I am a pretty big beginner too. I only have a fluval 13.5 but I have a lot of gear ive picked up and working my way to coral still. I am having too much learning about fish and inverts.

I think Reef Life has some of the healthiest fish in the area and the greatest prices for fish or coral. They stock mostly frags if you want to grow it all out.

Aquarium Artisans up in ohio is the biggest store in the area and have the biggest selection of frags/full colonies/ or fish around. They also have the highest prices though.

Right now Pet World in florence seems to have nothing but sick fish so beware of them. Idk if it is just a thing going on there now but it didn't look nice in there lol.

Aquatics and Exotics also in Ohio doesn't even use copper in their holding tanks so I am skeptical of buying there. Also I feel like they knew I had a bunch of credit and were giving me high prices for everything.

Discover aquatics in taylor mill is quite nice too. They have some nice colonies for sale and a pretty good selection otherwise.

OP
OP
waterboys

waterboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a pretty big beginner too. I only have a fluval 13.5 but I have a lot of gear ive picked up and working my way to coral still. I am having too much learning about fish and inverts.

I think Reef Life has some of the healthiest fish in the area and the greatest prices for fish or coral. They stock mostly frags if you want to grow it all out.

Aquarium Artisans up in ohio is the biggest store in the area and have the biggest selection of frags/full colonies/ or fish around. They also have the highest prices though.

Right now Pet World in florence seems to have nothing but sick fish so beware of them. Idk if it is just a thing going on there now but it didn't look nice in there lol.

Aquatics and Exotics also in Ohio doesn't even use copper in their holding tanks so I am skeptical of buying there. Also I feel like they knew I had a bunch of credit and were giving me high prices for everything.

Discover aquatics in taylor mill is quite nice too. They have some nice colonies for sale and a pretty good selection otherwise.
Thanks for the information.

Do you like the 13.5? I’m already thinking about getting a second nano tank to put directly on my desk. A lot of choices and the 13.5 looks like the most affordable from an “all in one” option.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information.

Do you like the 13.5? I’m already thinking about getting a second nano tank to put directly on my desk. A lot of choices and the 13.5 looks like the most affordable from an “all in one” option.
It is good and worth it if you use all the stock gear. If you just want a tank that can work it is perfect but if I could restart I'd get an Innovative marine nano because I have changed and upgraded everything. . My biggest complaint is the stock light being either too white or too blue. If you upgrade the light you then need a new lid too. I went and got a kessil, a fancy lid, a bigger pump, and a nice media basket. You could just get a small powerhead, an led dimmer/timer then toss egg crate with some floss and it would work very well for low light coral and housing fish. The white light does make the fish color look nice. It is probably one of the cheapest options for getting started or just a second tank with ALL in one.

Last edited:

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Looking Coral Reef GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I’m from the Cincinnati area. Excited to be starting my reef tank journey. Looking forward to learning a lot from these forums. Any and all advice is appreciated.

49A0DD02-19C4-4D35-B53F-EED78C1CC6BB.jpeg

Hi Michael and Welcome! Glad you joined.

CONGRATULATIONS on already having your Build Thread Badge - WAHOO - YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY !!!!

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back