First Reef

IMG_1471.JPG


Getting the plumbing mocked up. Starting to come together. The plumbing was probably the most frustrating part of the whole build.

Edit: For those curious i did a herbie style drain in both overflows
 
Last edited:
IMG_1478.JPG


Aquascape done. This was a lot of trial and error. If i could do this all over again i would get pieces with more size variation. It was hard to get a 'scape that didn't look like a wall of rocks.

Edit: A hammer and a chisel was a huge help
 
IMG_1497.JPG


This guy showed up in no time. I started with live rock, so not very surprised. I ended up getting a bottle of F-Aiptasia and nuking that one and two others. But, once I got an eye for spotting them I realized i needed help.
 
IMG_1508.JPG


I picked up a pair of peppermint shrimp and they wrecked the rest of the aiptasia. I haven't seen once since adding those guys.
 
Oooh, something nice brewing here !!!!
 
Nice start. This may be your first reef but it seems like you know what you are doing. Do you have (or had) other tanks?
 
This might be a dumb noob question, but plumbing baffles me sometimes....I’m looking into planning for a Bashsea sump also, if you have 2 overflows, how is there 3 intakes coming into the sump? I noticed all of their sumps have 3
 
This might be a dumb noob question, but plumbing baffles me sometimes....I’m looking into planning for a Bashsea sump also, if you have 2 overflows, how is there 3 intakes coming into the sump? I noticed all of their sumps have 3


I did a herbie style drain in each overflow and ran the return line over the back.
I ran both of the full siphon and one of the open channels into the bulkheads and ran the other open channel into the fuge section of my sump. I left it above the water line so i can hear when the open channel is taking on more water.

IMG_1472.JPG


Edit: This was a mock-up of the plumbing, I ended up using unions so i can take all of the plumbing out if needed
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new