First saltwater experience (13.5 nano)

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, this is my first tank so I will explain where I am at currently. Started with 10lbs Caribsea livesand, 7lbs live rock with no coraline and 3lbs live rock with coraline. I have updated the pump with a sicce 1.0. I currently have a YWG with a tiger pistol shrimp, one Zoa ( not doing well), one toadstool (doing great). 3 astraea snails. Let me know if you have any advice or comments. I am new to saltwater so all advice is welcome.
0101BE06-7CEA-409E-9DF0-503DA563DD32.jpeg

This is when it first got set up

OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s fake coralline
Why do you say that? The LFS is pretty well respected and they always have a tub with live rock cycling in it that they constantly replenish with dry rock as bought. I also have already noticed it spreading onto my other rock.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
you’re probably right,
but it just looks like caribsea life rocks to me…

6163B52A-0C91-4775-864E-2F181263B3D9.png

OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’re probably right,
but it just looks like caribsea life rocks to me…
I will say the pink does make it look fake but I know that they continuously cycle other white live rock and dry rock into the tub and let it mature as they sell off the coraline rock. It has also started to move onto my live rock that didn’t have it.

OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on tank, doing well. Everything should be stocked now and it’s time to wait and enjoy the growth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 42

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and good work so far, if you don't have one yet I would recommend an ATO for your tank. Its the best peice of equipment you'll buy for that tank, followed closely by a temp controller for you heater.

OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and good work so far, if you don't have one yet I would recommend an ATO for your tank. Its the best peice of equipment you'll buy for that tank, followed closely by a temp controller for you heater.
I am currently still using stock hood and lights so evaporation hasn’t been an issue, add a small amount every few days. If I ever go without the hood I will definitely take your advice. Thanks.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently still using stock hood and lights so evaporation hasn’t been an issue, add a small amount every few days. If I ever go without the hood I will definitely take your advice. Thanks.
So true...if/when you decide to upgrade these stock light both with be crucial, so its always nice to get a couple small purchases out of the way before hand. Another aspect to think about is Surface agitation and getting enough oxygen into the tank, so maybe using these return pumps to do so by aiming up or adding a small pump to do so

OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of them are currently facing up and upgraded pump

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ewoolpert It looks nice ! Did you lose your Duncan ?
No, unfortunately my clowns have taken a liking to it and it is has been closed for about 2 weeks now. Looks heathy just closed. Hopefully it will open back up otherwise I will have a choice to make. I am more of a fan of coral then this fish since I have started saltwater but also don’t know what fish I would add if I removed the clowns.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, unfortunately my clowns have taken a liking to it and it is has been closed for about 2 weeks now. Looks heathy just closed. Hopefully it will open back up otherwise I will have a choice to make. I am more of a fan of coral then this fish since I have started saltwater but also don’t know what fish I would add if I removed the clowns.
I have a tail spot tail blenny (and a clown who killed their mate) in my Evo 13.5. Really cool fish that was recommended to me here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back