First Saltwater Tank, Need Help

arkodios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping freshwater tanks for a bit over a year and a half. I currently have 2 75 gallons and am cycling a 37 gallon for a crawfish. My girlfriend and I have been obsessing over clownfish lately so I decided I wanted a saltwater tank. I’m a little lost because I’m not sure how to pick proper lighting or how I should size my aquarium. So far, I’m between picking a Waterbox Mini Peninsula 25 (actually 23.7 gallons) AIO or a JBJ 45 Gallon Rimless AIO. I’m leaning towards the JBJ because I know bigger is better when it comes to tanks, but I’m hesitant due to the expenses. I’m not sure how corals work or what ‘softies’ are or what SPS or LPS means, but I do think I’d like to get some corals in the future (I just dont want to yet since I know they’re delicate), so I’m trying to prevent future expenses and just get a good light now. I’d like to keep a bubble tip anemone to host a clownfish pair, and maybe a blood red fire shrimp. I was going to get a CurrentUSA Marine IC Pro LED but I’ve read that they’re bad and just seem appealing since they’re cheap. What about AquaIllumination? They’re in a partnership with Waterbox so I assume they’re decent, Bulk Reef Supply supports them too. If I went with the AIs, which ones and how many would I get?

I also attached my list of possible supplies so anyone that sees this can give me feedback. It has a list both for the 25 and 45 AIOs

7EFB9008-2E57-4B1D-A319-F883EEFDF235.jpeg

OP
OP
A

arkodios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went with the JBJ 45 Gallon would just 1 Prime 16 HD be enough or should I use 2 instead?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not doing corals or if you're going to keep it to softies and lower light LPS then Current USA Marine Pro will do just fine.

I'd add switched power bar ($50 for DJ bar on amazon), a couple 10 gallon containers for RODI and SW. Much better than having to make it when you need it.

The API will likely be fine for fish only/softie tank. I would use test strips as well (quicker and a nice backup if the API readings seem a bit off).

Get a heater with an external controller or buy an Eheim Jager and replace every 3 years (or two) which I recommend for FW as well.

Welcome and Good Luck!

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 hds over my 30, you could buy 1 vipraspectra 165 watt off Amazon. They will grow everything and are 150 dollars. The fluval skimmer is garbage. I bought one when I started, and after a few months I changed to the tunze.
For ease of use I bought Hannah checkers. Ulr phosphate for sure, the rest you can get by with sailfert or red sea for test kits.
Keeping clownfish is relatively simple. Softies or 'soft corals' are the most tolerant of inconsistent water parameters. Lps stands for large polyp stony coral. There are some good beginner lps as well, but they are more susceptible to water fluctuations. Sps or small poly stony are the hardest to care for, they are the hard corals, the sticks you see a lot in tanks.
Id add an auto top off, to your list, I use the duetto which has worked great for me. And some sort of wave pump.
If it was me, I'd start with just the clownfish, and do lots of research on what corals I want to keep, and what they need.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id add an auto top off, to your list, I use the duetto which has worked great for me. And some sort of wave pump.
If it was me, I'd start with just the clownfish, and do lots of research on what corals I want to keep, and what they need.
Ditto on ATO. How'd I miss that?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back