First scoly. Need advice

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out if this scoly is doing OK. I have been feeding it mysis shrimp twice a week and it has been eating but you can still see the skeleton poking out. Assume that isn't normal. Currently underneath the powerhead so flow should be fairly low. Had it for ten days. First picture is the day I got it.

20230118_114441.jpg 20230129_114739.jpg 20230129_114759.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, sorry, its not doing well. Very nice looking scoly though, just keep params as steady as possible, and hopefully you can bring it back. They are fairly hardy and easy, so it has a good chance to come back

Low/medium light and low/medium flow.

I would suggest to pull it out of the corner just a little so it gets slightly more light and flow.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, sorry, its not doing well. Very nice looking scoly though, just keep params as steady as possible, and hopefully you can bring it back. They are fairly hardy and easy, so it has a good chance to come back

Low/medium light and low/medium flow.

I would suggest to pull it out of the corner just a little so it gets slightly more light and flow.
Thanks. Should I feed it more is twice a week ok?

maxthisout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take a little while too settle in but if the first pic is arrival day then I would say it's improving. Did you get shipped or pick-up at LFS? Scolies need pretty low phosphate with good indirect flow. If it's flesh is inflating and not flat pressed against the skeleton then it is doing fine.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take a little while too settle in but if the first pic is arrival day then I would say it's improving. Did you get shipped or pick-up at LFS? Scolies need pretty low phosphate with good indirect flow. If it's flesh is inflating and not flat pressed against the skeleton then it is doing fine.
It was shipped. Arrived like this but figured that was normal for shipping. The first picture in my original post is probably immediately after I put it in the tank.

Attachments

• 20230118_102708.jpg
    20230118_102708.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230118_102043.jpg
    20230118_102043.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 11

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Should I feed it more is twice a week ok?
Two or three time a week is fine, should not feed more often than that. It needs time to digest, it will accept more food on top of undigested food, and will basically rot from the inside out.

maxthisout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was shipped. Arrived like this but figured that was normal for shipping. The first picture in my original post is probably immediately after I put it in the tank.
Yeah stressed out for sure in those pictures. From my experience some ship happier than others. If you are seeing it send out feeding tentacles that's a good sign.

From the newer pictures does not look like it is receding so could just be settling in. Keep your phosphates on the low side at parameters stable and should settle in and inflate more.

If it does recede could be parameters, flow (too much/too little), fish picking at it when you target feed or pests since most are wild collected. There is a good MACNA video on Scoly propagation in the aquarium that also goes into some pests they are known to have.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah stressed out for sure in those pictures. From my experience some ship happier than others. If you are seeing it send out feeding tentacles that's a good sign.

From the newer pictures does not look like it is receding so could just be settling in. Keep your phosphates on the low side at parameters stable and should settle in and inflate more.

If it does recede could be parameters, flow (too much/too little), fish picking at it when you target feed or pests since most are wild collected. There is a good MACNA video on Scoly propagation in the aquarium that also goes into some pests they are known to have.
Thank you for your help

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back