First sea anemone a sebae please help

pharaoh0323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Sebae anemone today about 12 hours ago, it is my first one. Is this normal for it to bunch up like a tomato? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know if biocube has a water flow upgrade?

You can buy powerheads from many places, amazon, BRS, doesn’t have to be a bio cube product. The products linked would be appropriate for your tank and are programmable as wave makers.

Same deal with lighting. Amazon has decent/more affordable options, but would require you to discard or heavily modify your hood. The Steve’s LED option I linked above wouldn’t though, but is more expensive.

Here’s a good starting point for your biocube. BRS is really your best resource for so many things aquarium care and products.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy powerheads from many places, amazon, BRS, doesn’t have to be a bio cube product. The products linked would be appropriate for your tank and are programmable as wave makers.

Same deal with lighting. Amazon has decent/more affordable options, but would require you to discard or heavily modify your hood. The Steve’s LED option I linked above wouldn’t though, but is more expensive.

Here’s a good starting point for your biocube. BRS is really your best resource for so many things aquarium care and products.
I just ordered the new hood, I just want to make sure everything fits since I have a bio cube 16

Upvote 0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is 2000 gph okay for my tank for the brs

Far too much. Aim for 8-10x flow for how many tank gallons. So 128-160 gph.

You can get a programmable powerhead and tune the flow appropriately, if you’re willing to spend extra, one Nero 3 is probably your best bet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far too much. Aim for 8-10x flow for how many tank gallons. So 128-160 gph.

You can get a programmable powerhead and tune the flow appropriately, if you’re willing to spend extra, one Nero 3 is probably your best bet.
Thank you so much I may be dumb but I have been learning my self for the past 3 years it’s a lot to always take in lol

Upvote 0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you so much I may be dumb but I have been learning my self for the past 3 years it’s a lot to always take in lol

You’re not dumb, you’re just starting to educate yourself on proper reef care. We all started in similar places and want you to be successful/learn from our mistakes.

And, since I realize you have a Biocube 16, if you want the proper Steve‘s LED retrofit, this is the one you want.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not dumb, you’re just starting to educate yourself on proper reef care. We all started in similar places and want you to be successful/learn from our mistakes.

And, since I realize you have a Biocube 16, if you want the proper Steve‘s LED retrofit, this is the one you want.
That’s the one I just ordered, I got the booster and the temp probe too

Upvote 0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What should I do about the anemone? Take him out? I’m worried about the tank

I’d caution on doing so, as sad as it is and as much as it sucks. When anemone’s die, melting happens rapidly. It’s difficult to predict when it could happen. If you do leave it overnight and it looks the same in the morning (as it does now), see if you can bring it back to the LFS.

Also, after you’ve upgraded. your equipment I’d recommend starting with a Bubble Tip Anemone. They’re much easier than Sebaes and better looking.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d caution on doing so, as sad as it is and as much as it sucks. When anemone’s die, melting happens rapidly. It’s difficult to predict when it could happen. If you do leave it overnight and it looks the same in the morning (as it does now), see if you can bring it back to the LFS.

Also, after you’ve upgraded. your equipment I’d recommend starting with a Bubble Tip Anemone. They’re much easier than Sebaes and better looking.
Do clown fish like them better?

Upvote 0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do clown fish like them better?

Looks like you have oscellaris clowns. The anemone species they host in nature are the most difficult species to keep in the hobby. They will host BTAs in captivity, but it may take more time for them to accept one.

Also I just ordered the nano pulp u recommended, anything else I should do?

If the lighting is ordered as well, up to you on the test kits.

And how do I know when he is decaying

It will basically turn into an amorphous pile of mush, literally melting and disintegrating. Sometimes, prior, anemones will open their mouth wide and start to spill it’s mesenterial filaments/guts through the mouth (though this isn’t always indicative that it’s in process of dying).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have oscellaris clowns. The anemone species they host in nature are the most difficult species to keep in the hobby. They will host BTAs in captivity, but it may take more time for them to accept one.

If the lighting is ordered as well, up to you on the test kits.

It will basically turn into an amorphous pile of mush, literally melting and disintegrating. Sometimes, prior, anemones will open their mouth wide and start to spill it’s mesenterial filaments/guts through the mouth (though this isn’t always indicative that it’s in process of dying).
So what I’m seeing on its “foot” isn’t it throwing up?

Upvote 0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably bring that sebae back to the LFS--not for store credit, just to see if they can save it (doubtful, but might stand a better chance).

A good starter nem is a rock flower anemone "RFA". Easy to care for and some of the best colors in the hobby. They won't/can't host your clowns, but those clowns might never accept a nem as a host, especially if you have a particularly attractive return nozzle.

I would wait until you know your light is strong enough for a BTA, as they also like stronger light and very stable water conditions.

I'm sorry for your experience. Keep at it and keep learning!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably bring that sebae back to the LFS--not for store credit, just to see if they can save it (doubtful, but might stand a better chance).

A good starter nem is a rock flower anemone "RFA". Easy to care for and some of the best colors in the hobby. They won't/can't host your clowns, but those clowns might never accept a nem as a host, especially if you have a particularly attractive return nozzle.

I would wait until you know your light is strong enough for a BTA, as they also like stronger light and very stable water conditions.

I'm sorry for your experience. Keep at it and keep learning!
Thank you!

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%

Back