First Shrimp?

ThunderGoose

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2016
Messages
938
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Beverly, Mass
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up my first reef tank. I'm setting up two QT - one for fish and one for invertebrates. Since inverts require a long quarantine I was thinking of starting some shrimp in QT but I have some questions.

1) how soon is it safe (or a good idea) to add shrimp?

2) which shrimp should I start with? My shrimp plan includes cleaner shrimp, sexy shrimp and a pistol shrimp (to go with a planned watchman tentatively scheduled for April)

3) I know sexy shrimp can be kept in groups. How about cleaners? One or two for a 54 ID tank? (Reefer 250)

4) Can you tell I'm eager to get going? I spent months planning before I set up the tank!:rolleyes:

Trying to be patient, trying to be patient, trying to be patient...

Thanks!
 
Hi, So it's safe to add shrimp to the qt once the qt has fully cycled and completed its nitrogen cycle.
Add slowly as not to shock the new qt. Get an ammonia alert for the qts. Great tool to use.
Start with which ever ones you like. Cleaners can be kept in groups and 2 is a good number. They are great scavengers.
 
Great, thanks! Setting up my QTs today. Getting the party started!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new